iTunes Alternatives

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Waffle, May 14, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Hey all,

I recently downloaded iTunes for windows, and it's great. I am all for the Online Music Store, and paying for the songs I download. It says that the service isn't available in the UK yet.

My question: does any one know the date when iTunes' Music Store will be available in the UK?

Thanks.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I say nevermind iTunes. As of this writing it's $1.25-US per song, which is pretty expensive if you ask me. Instead, I'd check out AllOfMP3.com. It's a legal, Russian music store similar to iTunes, except that:

* You choose the codec you want your music encoded to; Including MP3, MPG4, WMA, OGG-Vorbis, and lots more

* You also choose the bitrate your songs are encoded at, from 128KBPS all the way up to 384

* It's a helluva-lot more reasonable than iTunes, at a mere $0.01 per megabyte. (Typical album @ MP3~192KBPS = $0.55 total cost)

* You can pay through PayPal, so you pre-authorize the amount you want to spend. (In other words, you won't get ripped off)

* Downloading software is good & non-bloated, but you don't need it to get your music if you don't want it

If you still want to use iTunes, I certainly won't stop you. But take my advice and check out AllOfMP3.com first! :) I've been using this service for a while now, and I have to say it's fantastic. The only complaint I have is that they don't have the largest selection of underground music I've ever seen. On the other hand, they have 100x more music than the Sony equivilent of iTunes, and their selection is growing every day.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Damn. That's a good site for the price. An entire album for under $2, hell yeah. Great link.

4. Anti-Trend

That's exactly what I said after I heard about it, in addition to "what's the catch?" The catch is that the RIAA sells music to Russia for what they think Russians can pay for it -- almost nothing -- and yet still make a substantial profit. Then, legally, the Russians turn around and sell it back to us for mere pennies, also at a substantial profit. They make some money, and we still geat sweet deals on music. Bet the RIAA isn't too pleased about that. :D

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I can use it as I'm in the UK because of paypal right?

Great. Thanks guys

6. Anti-Trend

Affirmative, you theoretically should be able to use this service from any country in which you can get a PayPal account.

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

thanks Anti, great link :)

8. Sniper

got a few albums from there now! fast speeds when downloading, better than having to search for ages!

9. Proteus

Proteus Geek Trainee

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks Anti-Trend. I've always been hesitant to join any of those legal pay sites because alot of them only allow you to play back the music on the computer used to download it and that has thier proprietary software running on it. Then if you wanted to move it to another medium, such as an mp3 player, you had to pay $0.99 for it. But since I joined AllofMP3 I'm a downloading FOOL!!! Ha Ha! Thanks!

10. Anti-Trend

Update: AllOfMP3.com has changed its fee from $0.01 per megabyte to $0.02. It's the only place I can think of that can actually double their prices and still be more than reasonable.

11. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I just got me an account of that, (got own debit card :D)

Seems very good - d/l their browser, they gave me $0.2 free, which isn't much but when one song cost me .067, its pretty damn good!

12. dtm

dtm Guest

I just read the T&Cs for the site and it makes it sound as if its only legal to download if it fits with the copyright laws of your country, if i'm in the UK does anyone know whether this is legal?

13. Anti-Trend

Well, let me put it this way. The RIAA wants it to be illegal, but the Russians have found a legal loophole. So for now, it isn't illegal, but it's not sanctioned by the industry either. Then again, neither were cassette tapes, CD-Rs, and pretty much any type of technological progress. :confused:

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Insanly good sounding AT! I didn't know iTunes was a $1.25! I always thought it was $0.99, must have bumped it up when I wasn't paying attention. Oh well I never used the music store anyway, I just don't like the layout and it runs really slow on dial-up. I get all my music from stores or Bear Share (which has more than I would ever need), but what would you say the selection is like on AllofMP3? thanks.

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

god damn im in US and we got the RIAA on our backs...

not a word...

16. Sniper