Need Help BiG time!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dandavann, Oct 9, 2004.

1. dandavann

dandavann Geek Trainee

Hi folks,

I am new here, so treat me gently :chk:

I have a problem with my PC.

A short while ago, the hard drive failed and I replaced it.

It was working fine for a few weeks, than all of a sudden, the Computer started to beep upon initialising it and it never got past the boot up stage :swt:

We turned off the comp and tried rebooting but the same thing happened :mad:

Now, when we turn on the PC, it does not even boot up.....it just sits there doing nada, zip, zilch...well ok, it gathers dust and acts as a glorified doorstop :eek:

If anyone can offer advice and show us a glimmer of hope that this dark cloud can be lifted from over our heads, we would be grateful :D :good:

Bye for now!

Dave

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

It started to beep, that usually indicates number possible faults, and can you remember how many beeps? Or if they were long or short beeps?

Also you can consider trying to take the computer apart and rebuilding with only the minimum installed so the MB, CPU, Memory and video card if required and see if it works!

3. Mack

Mack Big Geek

I certainly hope it is not the processor,....
    While changing the hard drive did you removed or unpluged anything else too,...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, I'd check and make sure you didn't forget to plug in everything. If you unplugged the CPU fan (assuming the system has one), it can get toasty real quick.

5. littlesaj

littlesaj Geek Trainee

check the RAM, when the computer beeps it usually is a problem with the RAM or any PCI cards inside the machine, it wont be the hard drive, more likely one of the PCI cards will not be in properly

6. dandavann

dandavann Geek Trainee

Thx for the reply.....Once Installed the new hard drive, the comp worked fine for a few weeks....then it began to beep...the beep lasts for about a second at intervals of 3 seconds.

The only message I see on the screen is....No Signal/bnc - power management off! I can't even get a cursor on screen to type anything!!....i am pretty buggered it seems :chk:

I have stripped down the pc and too my amazement have put it back together.....and tried it with the minimum setup but, no change, no improvement :swt:

Any more ideas would be welcomed :good:

Thanks.

Dave.