Upgrade Tips for New Builders

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG, Jul 19, 2005.

1. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

Just a few tips for people wanting to build their first system or upgrade components of their current system. As well as some tricks to get more performance for less.

CPU: :good:

Stick with AMD: I'm sorry, but currently its the most efficient way to go

Look for more: Try to find the most features packed into the CPU, such as larger caches or higher clock speeds for your buck.

Compare on benchmarks: try out sites such as Tomshardware.com which have comparable benchmarks over CPU's, mobo's, GPU's and other devices. This applies to nearly all PC components

Look for newer cores: Newer cores often hold better features, reduced voltage requirements, more application support, as well as maybe more stable cores for overclocking and other add ons such as a corrected and revised core interface.

Motherboard: :good:

Stick to respected Brands: Stick to high line brands such as Asus, Abit, and other kind of lines that have a very good reputation.

Look for Higher FSB numbers: the more the better as long as your CPU is supported in the motherboard

Try to find more advanced tech: look for SATA or SATA2, ieee 1394b or integrated wireless within the board, as well as newer slots such as pciex16, but be sure that your parts will match or it will not function.

Dual Channel is better: Mobos supporting dual channel RAM will boost performance compared to using single channel RAM significantly, but not all RAM is DC, you have to check the memory if it supports it, as well as the mobo.

Free stuff/Why not?: the more the better, the more features packed onto the mobo the more you get for your money.

RAM: :good:

Look for Dual Channel: This type of memory offers alot more for less, and boosts performance muchly compared to that of a single channel system

Watch your $ on Latency: CAS latency may be low, but you rarely get a HUGE performance boost out of the same RAM with lower CAS, if RAM has lower CAS at a good price, take it, but don't waste your money.

If you want things faster, don't get ECC, but check if your mobo supports other types as well.

Check with the Manufacturer if memory is compatible!: a common mistake, many memory modules that are not supported on a motherboard tend to give small problems or rather big ones, check up on the memory's manufacturer website if the memory is fully compatible with your mobo.

GPU: :good:

Better performance/lower clock settings: by checking benchmarks at sites such as tomshardware.com, you can see the GPU grades, lower clock speeds practically show the cards begging to be overclocked, IF the good performance isn't good enough.

Look for updated OpenGL and DirectX versions: currently the newest are DirectX9 and OpenGl 2.0, these higher supports allow for more applications to work on the GPU as well as more for your buck

Look for faster RAMDAC speeds as well as higher memory interfaces: These properties as well as others have equal meaning to the performance of the GPU

More Memory!: Higher memory amounts allow the GPU to work better as well as lean off your own system memory.

More Pixel Pipelines: Pixel pipelines allow simultaneous graphic renderings in the millions to billions, the more you have, the better and faster the card can perform. Sometimes these as well as vertex shaders can be unlocked with bios flashes and alterations.

HD: :good:

More for your buffer: Bigger buffers allow faster data access in certain situations, personally I recommend with Hard Drives to configure them in RAID as 0 or 0 + 1 for a great performance boost in HD tasks.

SATA? Hello: SATA is only 12mhz faster than the 133 IDE, but other alterations have been made which allow it to have superior qualities to the older ATA 133 and 100. SATA2 has 300, but its still to be modified and has not yet surpassed speeds of SATA drives except in file transfers.

RAID: Raid allows to back up data or stripe it (put certain amounts of each file on two or more disks, so both read simultaneously) this is either safe, or boosts performance in HD tasks by much.

PSU: :good:

Stick to known Names: Brands such as Antec are well known for providing good power supplies, brand names that are well known perform tests at real life temperatures and provide accurate load/idle Wattages unlike other PSUs that perform half the amount they say they do at room temperature.

Higher Wattage is better lately: If you are building a new system, I’d recommend a 400-500W PSU at least, today’s systems require much power.

ATX 2.0: more and more Mobos require ATX 2.0 PSUs if yours does make sure that your PSU is ATX 2.0 compliant, because ATX2.0 has 24 pins instead of 20 pins, If you make such a mistake, it can be fixed though with a few dollars for an adapter that makes 20 pins, 24 pins.

ady1966 likes this.
  2. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Some very good pointers zRock. Something else: When you are picking out parts (assuming that you are a gamer) remember that a video card is just as important as a CPU. Don't cheap out on the card unless you don't game or work in graphic design. I made that mistake before... Also, if you intend to overclock, make sure you get RAM. The timings, speed, and other vitals of the RAM may look just as good as that Corsair XMS, but if it costs $50 less (unless it's on sale), it isn't. read reviews on the RAM, it is another very important part. An finally with the motherboard, do the same as you did with the video card and memory. The motherboard, in my mind, is the most important part of a computer. It ties all parts of the system together. Make sure you do like zRock said and read up on sites such as Tom's Hardware and also ask here, there's bound to be somebody that knows what you're talking about. Well, that turned out a little longer than I had palnned/wanted, but oh well, its all important.

3. Addis

Addis The King

You can look at RAMDAC and GPU clock speeds all you want. If the benchmarks don't prove that it has a noticable advantage, if any then its useless. Synthetic analysis is never as useful or accurate as real world load.

RAID is good. But only if you can afford the drives. RAID 1 is good for performance, but if one drive goes out on you then you might as well not have any. RAID 0+1 would solve this but then theres the cost problem again.

AMD fan myself. Video editing or high load encoding? For performance in that area go for AMD, for performance in everyday use and excellant gaming, use AMD64. Especially the newer cores which will have more benefits aswell.

Dual channel gives a boost yes, but only 10% or so.

If you program and looking for a new system for development, benchmarks prove that Athlon64s do compiling and linking faster than P4s, so another reason to go for them.

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

When checking out cases concider ones with 120mm fan compatability. More airflow for your buck (and some are pretty quiet too). Make sure the case offers at least decent airflow, some have cooling ducts which can make a difference. The more room for fans the better, no one says you have to use them all but it can help you out if you do overclocking.
    As for cpu coolers, don't bother with the stock cooler, for a few bucks more you can pick up a nice one that will give you lower temps and therefor more overclocking potential if you so desire. Brands like Zalman, Arctic Cooling, Thermaltake, and Scythe are makers of quality products so read up and pick one that suits you needs. Like quiet oporation and variable fan speed for instance.
    As for the ram, as zRock pointed out latency isn't worth the extra $50 or so, you can always lower it yourself if it's good name-brand ram anyway. I has been displayed in tests that on AMD systems latency and ram speed have very little effect on games. So long as you get some decent PC3200 you'll be all set. Don't bother with Kingston's HyperX for instance as it's way overpriced and you can get almost equal performance with something similar so long as you have the same quantity. Spent the money on something more dramatic like a better video card or higher quality PSU.

5. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, I agree with what's been said, except for one thing, and only partially with it. When Ex said not to bother with RAM speed, he is partially right. Don't bother with higher speed RAM unless you intend to do some serious overclocking. In that case you would be better off with DDR 500 or higher.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah I know, that's why they make it after all, but if you're not overclocking there's not benifit at all for what you spend for it. Even really good oc's can come form PC3200 after all.

Sterhelio likes this.
  7. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I know, I'm just getting that out there.