2 burnt pins on ATX power supply cable

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Ciribomflax, May 28, 2014.

1. Ciribomflax

Ciribomflax Geek Trainee

Hey guys,

I have the following issue: 2 pins on the ATX power supply cable that brings juice from the PSU to the motherboard have literally melted. I don't know what happened, but it was quite some time ago. The PC runs just fine, except for the occasional restart then the pins won't connect properly. Then I just have to jostle the cable a bit and it runs fine again. I've attached two photos to illustrate the problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, I don't want to live with this. Is there a way to replace the cable without buying a new PSU (which can be quite expensive since I need a powerful one)? Also, how can I clean up the pins in the blue socket on the motherboard?

Thanks in advance!

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Either one of those is not good, Plus there must be a reason why it burnt like that.. It looks like some kind of Short... I would replace the Motherboard and PSU, Unless you want a Fire some day..

3. wireless

wireless Guest

It looks like some kind of Short

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If it's doing that, you will probably want to start with replacing the power supply, although I wouldn't rule out the motherboard to be safe, as Ghostman suggested. Unless, of course, you want to wait until something really goes bad. I don't see the pictures coming up, but just know a power supply death can take other parts with it. Any good power supply won't be cheap, but depending on your system, you don't necessarily need a 1000W unit either. In any case, replacing the ATX lead isn't going to fix the problem. Unless you are adept at a soldering iron and circuitry work (in which case, why are you asking us), replace the power supply.