3dmark05 scores

Discussion in 'Benchmarking' started by Temporal, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah thats with my current hardware, man, really though not to impressed. Considering what i got with my other machine, which got only 2k worse of a score. Man,

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

its only 3dmark, its the performance in games that counts, not 3dmark, i just looked at your rig, bloooooommminnnng awwsome man :good:

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's true. It's useful in that it's a lot more sensitive to driver issues that might not show up in the games you do play. However, the benchmark uses a proprietary engine that is not used in any game on the market. I believe 06 adds some heavier CPU testing so that multi-core setups (SMP and dual/quad core) can be tested to some extent. Along with actual games, 3DMark isn't bad, but we don't use them in benchmarking simply because of the proprietary engine and that there is, like I mentioned earlier, no game (except whatever tech demo game the full, i.e. paid, versions) that actually uses the 3DMark engine. AFAIK, it's not open to that possibility, but don't quote me.

I do like it for the fact that it will hammer your video card, which is certainly useful when overclocking.

Now, I'm not saying don't factor in 3DMark at all, but don't rely on those results exclusively. Keep benchmarking, but don't get caught up like some people do in trying to grab the 3DMark eWang Maximus score.

4. Willz

From the comment i said above though, if i got a lower score with my rig than other people did with similar specs to me, i would be preety annoyed, although its proberbly the factor that i have loads and loads of background programs running, yet i manage to still get higher score than most peopl with similar specs to me.

But as Big B said, dont try to rely on those results and get caught like some people do by trying to get the maximum score lol :p, that would be fun.. trying to get the maximum score, with my current setup, i would have to have it super overclockers with best cooling on market, then i doubt it would still get there.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Just for kicks after settling in on an 11x240 OC (2.64GHz) I ran this again.

I got 8257, so it's not heavily influenced by the CPU. I forgot to add the coolbits hack when I reinstalled Windows, and I had it in the 7200's.

6. Willz

Try a 2.8Ghz overclock on the CPU, with stock they can do it, so if you got a good cooler it will be able to do it easilly.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd love to, but the stepping I have, CCBWE, seems to top out around 2.8 before you need extreme cooling. I might be able to coax it up to 2.7, I had to jump from 1.3V to 1.375 to have it stable. I've gotten to 1.5V when I had it at 11.0 x 250 (2750MHz) and still can't get Prime to go more than a few minutes without giving errors. If I had phase change, I might go for gold, but I'm just not comfortable pumping that much voltage in. I'll have to look around and see if there's any tweaks to help get me over that hump. In the meantime, I dropped the multiplier to 10.0 and bumped up the HTT to 264 (giving me what I had at 11.0 x 240). Once I've run Prime again to verify stability, I'll run through the tests again, just for curiosity.

8. Willz

Thats unusual, i am sure i had that CCBWE too, at 2.8ghz mine is stable at 1.45 or 1.47V, i can get mine running at around 2.9ghz at 1.48v and after that the voltage flys up to 1.65v. Yea i wouldent be comfortable pumping that much voltage, i managed to load windows at 3Ghz, but it reset in Aquamark 3, probs need better cooling, maybe get an Artic Freezer 64 and see if that will help it.

So the Multiplyer is unlocked on the 3x00 64 series, of is it just to 3700+ and higher models?

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No, all A64's are unlocked downwards, but the FX's are unlocked both ways.

10. Willz

Ah, i see, whats point of locking it upwards?

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

To make money off the FX's by marketing it as an enthusiast's chip. The point of having it unlocked downward is to allow for the CPU's speed to be dropped down to prevent damage if the chip starts getting too hot. For the overclocker, you can drop it and jack the HTT (or in an Intel case, FSB) up.

12. edijs

edijs Programmer

my humble setup gets 2842 w/o OCing

13. Willz

With my 8800GTS my 3DMark05 score is 9930, if I had a C2D it would be around 12-14,000

Woah edijs, thats low, only abit higher than what my Radeon9600np got :s

14. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

wow, thats weird that your score was so low with the 8800 and all

15. edijs

edijs Programmer

to Willz: Yeah, I was expecting more as well. but if the mark05 really's so dependent on the CPU then my Prescott not being anything top of the line, struggles.

but anyways, games like Armed Assault or Oblivion, or FEAR, or Prey run quite fine on higish settings.

16. Willz

Yea its all about the CPU in 3DMark and allot of games now.
    The worse your CPU, the lower your 3DMark score tbh, as there is a CPU score, in 3DMark06 my CPU got around 864 when C2D's are getting like 4000.

17. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

wait, that kinda goes against what Big B said, and i've actually found, to my surprise, that most games don't use that much CPU power. I run F@H while playing most games and don't ever really run into a hitch.

18. Willz

Of course in games will use that much power, the CPU is @ 100% in game as I have a single core CPU and all the power is been used. You have an X2 so in some games they could well be using only 50% of the CPU.

19. teraformer

teraformer Geek Trainee

My cpu comes in at 4758 for 3D mark 06 :cool: