A Desktop Processor Peak?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Swansen, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Ok, so first i want to touch on processor performance currently. AMD's Phenom II line, whether it be with their DDR2 or 3 line have the performance of that of an Intel Core 2. Anyone will tell you they are more than enough to do anything you need. Honestly, AMD's slowest X2 is more than enough for everyday users, and still most games. For the Core 2/Phenom II the same can be said for pretty much all games. Ok, so here is my point, obviously there is still a lot of room for improvement, and processors will continue to increase in performance, but have we reached a point where its no longer relevant to keep increasing their speeds on desktop platforms??? Right, i'm so most disagree with that, but like i was saying, processors have reached a point where they are more than enough for pretty much anything you want to do. I think there is going to be a paradigm shift with desktop computing here pretty soon. With the advent of net tops/books i think we will see a decrease in production of high performance desktop processors. As far as gaming goes, Intel pretty much holds the keys right now, with their i7 being pretty much an enthusiasts line only. Also, there is always need for improvement in the server market, but who knows, maybe in the future, if you want to build a gaming machine, you'll have to use server hardware, as that will be all there is for performance hardware.???? what do you guys think??

2. zeus

zeus out of date

I get your point cos it got like that with cpu frequencys. Ive not paid any attention to the latest cpus in years and years.... since the Prescott really.

Maybe thats why Vista was so hungry. Its just making use of surplus power. But CPUs are much further ahead than other components imo. They always have been.

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Your post reminded me of that :D

I think computers will become increasingly faster, although maybe not be increasing processor speeds. I'm not really sure to be honest, I don't think we can really say what will happen in the future!

4. zeus

zeus out of date