A few essential OS X apps.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Matt555, May 28, 2007.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I've consolidated the apps into a list of 10.

So as some of you may know, I now own a Mac (a Macbook to be precise), I'm not going to go into why I bought one (I still have another laptop running Kubuntu and XP) or what's better, OS X, Linux or Windows... I'm just going to list a few of the key apps I use in OS X.

1. Quicksilver:
    quicksilver: just your type
    Personally I can't live without this app, it's my single-most used program on OS X, it means I can do things quickly and without my hands leaving the keyboard, it takes some getting used to but once you get to learn it's finer features you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Of all the apps I have / use on OS X I think this one is my favourite, just because of the little features that make a *BIG* difference :D

2. Firefox 2
    Firefox - Rediscover the Web
    A fantastic browser, incredibly customisable with add-ons (extensions) and themes, built-in spell-checker and it's secure, what's not to like?!

3. Adium
    Adium - Download
    Nice extremely customisable interface, and the ability to handle multiple IM clients at the same time is great, it's a very good alernative to the standard IM clients.

4. VLC (VideoLAN)
    VLC media player - Overview
    VLC plays just about anything, it'll handle just about any media file you can throw at it, regardless of codec. It's available on other platforms too (Windows, Linux). I use this for videos as Quicktime just plain sucks.

5. HandBrake
    HandBrake
    I use this for DVD backups, simple to use, powerful and some great input and output options.

6. iSquint
    iSquint - iPod Video Made Easy.
    Downloaded this app yesterday, it's truly awesome, it recoded a 90-minute .avi in 25 minutes on my Macbook, it's simple, just drag the video you want into the workspace, check the "Optimize for iPod" option and click "Go"... it's that easy!!

7. Cyberduck
    Cyberduck
    Simple, uncluttered interface, easy to get used to, a great (s)FTP client :)

8. Audio Hijack Pro
    Audio Hijack Pro
    Useful for tuning out what you don't want, recording what you do :)

9. MAMP
    living-e AG: MAMP - Mac - Apache - MySQL - PHP
    I've recently installed this for use when I start coding on my site, MAMP stands for:
    Macintosh, Apache, MySQL and PHP

It's easy to set up and has an included dashboard 'Widget' to start and stop the servers that are running, easy or what?

10. Switch
    Switch Software Download Page
    I've only used this app a couple of times, just to convert some *ancient* .wma's I had (I know, I've sinned) into .mp3 format. It was easy and *relatively* quick. I don't use this app much (only twice so far) but I thought I'd mention it as it was easy to use and did 'exactly what it said on the tin'.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Great programs :). I'll use those on my upcoming Mac