A Little Organizational Help

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by coltess, Dec 4, 2016.

1. coltess

coltess Geek Trainee

Hi all, I apologize if this the wrong channel for seeking this sort of advice. I guess I've never had reason to ask anyone online these sorts of questions because I've generally had someone around who could fill that role.

Anywho, I'm a big-boy now. I'm living on my own and quelle surprise a student doesn't have a lot of money for adequate furniture. Since about age 12 - I'm 23 now - I've acquired a number of video game consoles (and some vintage computing, but that's not relevant here). Up until about a year ago, I had left much of them in my old room at my mother's, but she's decided to do a bit of remodeling now that I'm society's problem.

Due to my financial situation, what I'd like to set up isn't really possible. What I have is a 3 leveled TV Stand similar to the one linked below:

http://existdecor.com/wp-content/up...spresso-Cheap-TV-Stands-for-Flat-Panel-TV.jpg

Then I have 2 of these book shelves, in which I cut holes in the cardboard-ish backing to accommodate cords:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-3-Shelf-Bookcase-Black/17330706

And I also have one 3 cube organizer, similar to this one except mine has no backing and has no bottom rung, just two legs to the floor.

http://www.kmart.com/essential-home...akPoWoVDJiXX7T7c5dKSQxoCMGjw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My primary concern is overheating. I'm relatively informed on the heating needs of modern consoles, but older ones I'm a bit in the dark about.

I need to place:

PS4
    PS3 (fat)
    PS2 (fat)
    PS1 (Original)
    Xbox One (slim)
    Xbox 360 (slim)
    Xbox Classic
    Sega Master System (2)*
    Sega Genesis model 1 (with model 1 Sega CD and 32x)
    Sega Saturn
    Sega Dreamcast
    NES *
    SNES*
    N64*
    GameCube
    Wii
    WiiU
    Atari 2600 *
    Atari 5200*
    Intellevision*
    3DO (Goldstar Model)
    NeoGeo*
    S Four Thousand Pong Console*

*No real heat concern

(And let me add that I'm not a complete moron, they won't all be running at once or even all connected at once, this more of getting me into a position to plug and play without having to move too much shit around)

Believe it or not, it all fits. But I'm worried about ventilation on the shelves- in particular the book shelves which have some backing.

I've put the PS4, PS3, XBONE, 360, and Wii U on the top of the bookshelves. Not the top rung, but the top of the units themselves. Totally open air.

The tv stand is mostly consumed by the Ataris, the intellevision, and the pong console due to them requiring you have the console right in front you. My roomate's cable box (which I'm a bit sour about, but whatever I get tv) takes up a chunk. On top I have the television and the Wii

I am mostly concerned about the PS2, Xbox Classic, Gamecube, and Dreamcast

I am concerned, but less so, about the PS1 and Saturn. I think the most intense gameplay the PS1 will see will be Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 1-3. As for the Saturn, probably just Panzer Dragoon.

I am puzzled by the Sega CD and 3DO (I've only had the CD for a few days, and the 3DO has been a bit of a mystery to me since I got it. At the moment I only have Myst).

Am I running a severe risk putting these on the bookshelves, which do have an open face and holes in the backing?

Is there something that I should be concerned about that I'm not?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016