A Pretty Good Learner Distro...

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Anti-Trend, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you're intersted in trying Linux for the first time, or (like me) simply try every distro that crosses your path, you'll want to try out Cobind Desktop Linux. Cobind is a good example of a modern operating system which runs very well on even low-end hardware. In a nutshell, it's a super-lightweight version of Fedora which utilizes an ultra-fast, custom desktop. Effectively it has all the speed & low memory requirements of the Xfce desktop as well as the integration and simplicity of Gnome. Software installation in the new beta 2 version is a snap with a YUM GUI. For those unfamiliar with YUM, you can basically choose the software you want to install from a list & install it with one click. Here's a brief description from the website:
    For the impatient, you can get the CD image here.

2. Anti-Trend

New Features in Beta 2:

New with Cobind Desktop 0.2 Beta
    *Cobind Software Manager: A YUM GUI for finding and installing new software over the Internet.
    *mplayer: Audio and video playback fully integrated with Firefox.
    *K3B: Comprehensive CD/DVD burning.
    *Support For SMP Systems: Tested on dual processor systems, including Dell Poweredge 2600.
    *Dialup Support: Simple dialup support with Dialup Wizard. Just enter phone number, userid, and login.
    *Graphical Installer: Installer defaults to graphics instead of text.
    *Firewall: Activated by default in the installer.
    *Simplified File Management: File manager choices in the panel simplified to one: Nautilus.
    *New Settings Popup Menu: All configuration utilities easily accessible from the panel.
    *Simplified Login Screen: User list removed, making login easier and more secure.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

looks interesting, thanks for the link! Will try it out when I get the time! :)

4. Anti-Trend

I tried out Cobind beta 1 on a P3~400MHz w/128mb RAM, and it ran fantastically. Yet, it still felt like a very modern and full-featured operating system. I think you'll like it.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

im running cobind beta2 flawlessly on my 1.8 celeron w/256mb ram. great distro.

6. Anti-Trend

Glad you like it. I used Cobind to make a public access terminal for my parent's house; no problems or complications so far. :good:

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

i just installed firefox in a snap! along with mplayer plugins and flash!!! easy peasy lemon squeezy.
    its a GREAT leaner distro! stable as my grandpa's undergarments!