AcerAspire 3692

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by DavidNW, Jun 13, 2009.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hello, all.

I have the abovementioned laptop. On watching a movie file, say, an AVI, for instance, after a few minutes, the screen will dim. I assume this is a kind of power management feature. If I press any key, the screen will return to full brightness. I have checked Power Management options, and I have everything operating on full power settings.

I thought this might be a battery fault, so I removed the battery and just ran the laptop on mains electricity, but the same thing happened.

In general, the laptop screen dims down after a few minutes of the laptop being idle. Any ideas on this one folks?

Many thanks,

David.

2. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

Have you checked the control panel and etc for power settings? maybe even in the system tray theres a battery icon where you can see some settings there. or right click on your desktop, go on properties, and have a look round there. I'm not on a laptop now so cant remember exactly but its usually in a few places.
    There should be different power saving modes, set everything to high performance (for testing!)

also, if on your laptop theres keys for controlling the brightness so its like FN + (brightness symbol+), hit that til its full brightness, see if that helps.

hope that advice pointed you roughly in the right direction!

3. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

sorry didnt see that you'd already checked power management settings. try setting the brightness using the keyboard though like i said previous. have you checked your BIOS to see if theres any settings in there?

4. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I had checked everything including the BIOS. However, have solved the problem. The Acer laptop came with its own power management software - which overrides XPs power management options.

It seems, as far as I can assertain, that Acer power management automatically dims the screen periodically to save battery power, I guess, and there was nothing I could do to override it, no matter what I tried!

I uninstalled the Acer power management software and just used XPs and everything is fine now and the screen does not dim after a while!

My solution did the trick, but I'm not entirely convinced that you can't tweak Acer's power management system to turn off its 'auto dim' feature.

5. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

ah yes of course. its never entirely clear what a lot of that bundled software does. normally i just dont bother installing it whenever i reformat a laptop. acer especially puts a lot of stuff on doesnt it. does any of it actually do anything that XP doesnt anyway? i havent found so.
    uninstalling probably sounded like the best plan :^)