Ack!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by archcommus, Jan 22, 2003.

1. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Well, today I started to assemble my computer. Already I have a few issues:

1) My RAM was not able to close the tabs on the side itself. I had to push down on it while pushing the tabs in myself. Is this going to be okay?

2) I saw one of those cylindrical looking things slightly bent on my motherboard. Very little, almost not noticeable. I very carefully returned it to the upright position, not any more than two millimeters or so of movement. Is this okay?

3) I put the heatsink on once without removing the film covering the thermal paste to make sure I could do it first. However, now I need to get it back off, and that retention clip is so tight I cannot. Any ideas? I've already slipped off of it with my screwdriver two times. Luckily, since the socket is so close to the edge of my motherboard, both times the screwdriver missed the motherboard and hit the floor. At least, I think it did. It happened in a blur. The motherboard looks just fine, and I'm sure the screwdriver hitting it would make a mark.

2. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Also, once I get it off, is it okay to remove the film over the thermal pad, put it on, and not turn it on for a couple weeks or so? Because I still won't be getting the video card for a little bit. Is it okay if the thermal pad is not melted all this time and just sitting there?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

1.)That's perfectly normal.
    2.)That's a capacitor. Unless you noticed them leaking (and MSI is not known for such issues), I really wouldn't sweat it.
    3.)That film needs to be removed before you fire up the machine. Otherwise, kiss your CPU goodbye.
    Heatsink removal: use a thin, flatheaded screwdriver.

4. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Thanks. I got the heatsink off, removed the film, and put the heatsink back on. I really hate doing that. You have to push a lot harder than I imagined I would have to. However, I still won't be able to turn it on for a week or so until I get the video card. Argh! I want to see if I did everything right! Oh well, must wait.

5. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Question. In case when I first turn on my newly built computer the fan on the heatsink does not starting turning, or is turning slowly, can I unplug the computer immediately to avoid the CPU overheating?

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

in my opinion you'll have to be pretty fast if your cpu is a amd and I would suggest to turn the power supply switch off instead of unplugging the cord from the wall

but the best way that this does not happen is that you make sure your fan is plugged in correctly and on the right connector, if you bought the board and the cpu from the same store, they have to do it themselves to validate the warranty so if something like you fear happens, you get everything replaced for free, you also cannot remove the heatsink from the cpu or even the fan from the heatsink because it voids the warranty(I'm not sure about the fan part but 100% sure about the heatsink part). unless there was no heatsink/fan in your purchase, then I don'T know how the warranty works.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you've got a heatsink, the CPU won't burn up immediately, but it could if the fan slows down or stops. If you don't have a heatsink installed (and done properly too) the CPU can fry in a few seconds and may take the motherboard with it. The fan headers on the motherboard and typical 3-pin fan plugs on heatsinks are set so it will only go on one way.

If it's a local store that has a mobo/CPU combo with a heatsink included, that's not a bad idea to have it done there. Don't do it when buying online: if the heatsink comes off--which is more of a hazard with larger heatsinks---that can do a lot of damage to the motherboard.

You can still turn it on and see if the fans spin, but the motherboard will beep at you for a lack of a video card. If the fan doesn't spin, the heatsink will protect the CPU from frying immediately--just don't leave it running like that. While it does happen, a CPU fan not working right off the bat isn't very common.

8. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Okay, so if the fan does not turn, hit the switch on the power supply immediately? I think (and hope) I've done everything right for the heatsink and fan. I have confirmed that it is not touching the socket, it is on all four pads, the film has been removed, and it is plugged in. Anything else to check?

Also, right now I just have the motherboard, CPU, heatsink and fan, and memory in. I currently do not have a video card, HDD, CD-ROM, or floppy drive in the system. Is this enough to boot up? If it is, and I do it, and it beeps at me, then how would you go about turning it off?

9. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Well I did it, and everything seems okay. The fan on the heatsink was turning at a very rapid rate. To turn it off, I held in the power button for four seconds and then let it go. Yay.

10. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Two new q's:

1) I already had an audio cable from my old burner, and I did not get one with my new DVD drive. Since the DVD drive will be the master, can I just use the cable for that and not have one for the burner? However, even if I do, the cable just barely makes it to my motherboard's CD audio connector - it's so tight that it practically hugs my motherboard. Is this okay? If not, and I need to buy a new one, is there any difference between a "DVD audio cable" and a "CD audio cable"? Because I've seen both online.

2) I think I may have used a type of screw a tad too small for my HDD. Either way, it went in, and it went in all the way. However, that it's in all the way, it cannot tighten. It just screws forever to the right in place. The HDD is secure, but it can move a bit up and down because of this. Plus, I cannot get the screws out now either. If I turn it left, it also just turns infinitely in place. So now it cannot move in or out. Any idea how this could have happened and how to get it out?

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Nowadays, the audio cable isn't needed. All data, including music goes along the IDE cables, negating the need for a separate audio cable. I have several systesms, all have no interal audio cables and all play music just fine.

12. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Oh, that's good, thanks.

What about issue two now?

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've had that happen before and I've managed to work the screw out enough to grab it behind the head and pull it out. It takes some work, but having a magnetic screwdriver and a little grappler (came with this PC tool kit I have---looks like a syringe), I got it out.

14. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Ahh, yes, I too have one of those grappler things. I used it to put in every screw in my motherboard - those places are just too tight to put them in with your hands. Anyway, I've tried prying it out with a flat head screwdriver and then just picking at it with my hands, but I can never get it out far enough. Should I be pulling straight out or should I be turning it to the left at the same time? And, in the event that I cannot get it out, do you think the HDD will be secure enough as it is?

New Q (I know, they never stop!): Is there a special kind of screw required to mount a standard 80mm fan to the back of the case? Because I've tried all the screws that came with my case with a fan that I have, and all of the screws just drop into the hole. Is it because the screws I have are not thick enough?

[EDIT] Is it just me or has MSI's site been down for over a day now?

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've got a philips head with a magnetic tip that I use and twist it as I'm pulling out.

The drive will be secure if the other 3 are the proper size.

For the case fan, it should've come with it's own screws to mount with (at least all the ones I've bought are). I do suppose that there are some out there that are meant to be used for CPU cooling and thus don't come with the screws for mounting it in a case, but I haven't bought any. I've purchased several Antec 80mm fans, and they've all come with 4 screws for case mounting. You should be able find them at Best Buy and the like.

MSI's site works fine for me (www.msicomputer.com).
    There was a major attack on a lot of websites yesterday that slowed everything down big time and that could be a good reason why you're not getting to MSI's site.

16. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Hmm, yeah, maybe I should try to get a screwdriver with a magnetic tip. Those are unsafe to use for other computer parts, though, right?

And actually, all four screws are like this. That's because I didn't try to tighten them until I had all four in, so I didn't discover the problem until they were all in. The drive is fine as far as front to back movement goes, but it can move slightly up and down. Do you think that'll be okay?

Yeah, both of these fans I got from a friend of mine, so they don't have any screws. I figured I'd be able to use screws that came with my case, but apparently not.

Whoa, since when was MSI's site www.msicomputer.com? I always went to www.msi.com.tw. That site no longer works, however www.msicomputer.com does.

17. syngod

syngod Moderator

msi.com.tw should still be valid, I believe it's still an after effect of the exploit that took place yesterday.

From reports I've seen all of Korea and quite a few other countries where down so I wouldn't be suprised that yesterday's worm is to blame for not being able to access the site.

My own sites are still having intermittent problems with email and downtime and when they are up it's pretty much crawling at a snails pace. Bandwith being used is huge, at one point yesterday the Wireless ISP I'm attempting to set up had 2 T-1's and an OC-3 pipe saturated with traffic.

18. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

In theory, yes. But the screwdrivers don't have enough magnetism to screw anything up.

19. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Oh, that's good then. I'll try to obtain one.

20. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Is www.msicomputer.com a new site? It's very odd. Some links on their site lead to an msicomputer directory, while others lead to an msi.com.tw directory. The latter links do not work; the former ones do. I checked the manual with my KT3 Ultra board to see which site it listed, and surprisingly it listed NONE. No contact section in the manual at all. How very odd.