Adive for Computer

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by BigNutz, Feb 6, 2003.

1. BigNutz

BigNutz Geek Trainee

aight hey, im not much into reviewing the only thing i have reviewed really is the GF FX and the 9700 pro which i think im gonna go with the pro.
    What im looking for here is some advice on building my new computer, brand names and stuff dont really matter to me i just want a good CPU at around 2.5 Ghz and a nice solid MB and fan to go with it, a good nice ventallating case(decent looks) and thats about it i think i can decide for my self about the rest. so can you guys give me some good like direct link to these products or just the name and ill look it up my self... money isnt really an option. thanks

2. BigNutz

BigNutz Geek Trainee

oh sorry didnt see the building a computer thread =x ummm well thats alot of info and i dont really got time to read but can u guys just give me basically the top of the line(or just under to save price) cuz i have noticed if u buy THE top of the line like a 3.0 ghz for 5000 dollars u can get a 2.9 for like 100dollars, no what i mean? aight gotta run

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Don't worry, we'll still help you build it up. Those threads might help you get a better idea of what direction you want to go. :)

4. BigNutz

BigNutz Geek Trainee

AMD ATHLON XP 2700 /333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM or Pentium 4 2.6 533 512K Cache, 478 Pin, 533Mhz FSB

im looking for STRICKLY gaming high perfomance material here so which of these would be better? once i decide on which CPU ill need help looking for the mother board and cpu fan, then i will need a case large enough to fit my ATI 9700 pro, Whatever Mother board i get and 2 hard drives, 2 cdrom drives. i want my case to be well ventilated like maybe 2 or 3 case fans and i have been looking around online and damn i just cant decide there are tons of them and i really cant tell how big one would be just from pictures so i dont know if it will fit all my gear.

5. BigNutz

BigNutz Geek Trainee

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If that case doesn't come with a power supply, I'd look into at least a 350W or better one. Also, get a good name, such as Sparkle or Antec. Some cheaper power supplies may have a large rating, but have a very low power out put. A quality 350W may put out 330W or so while a cheap brand may only put out 250W or less. If you get a power supply that feels light, it's probably not very good since it doesn't have as many componets in it.

For the CPU, I'd go with the XP2700+, since it's better performing and costs less than the P4.

7. BigNutz

BigNutz Geek Trainee

i think im gonna go with the p4 2.66 because the FSB is 544 where the athon 2700 is only 333, what do u think? also whats a good motherboard for each cpu

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Here's the thing: the architecture on both is different. They are about equal speedwise, despite the FSB differences. AMD's chips do more work per clock cycle, and thus can run at a slower speed while comparing well with a P4 clocked higher. Personally, I'm one to go with whatever is cheaper---which is what I suggest you do.
    edit: Just checked newegg, and the P4 2.66 is cheaper---go with that.

For motherboards, anything with Intel's latest 845PE chipset would be a good idea so you could later get a HyperThreading P4 and take advantage of it's HT capabilities. HT is kinda like having a 2nd CPU (you will need to use Windows XP to take advantage of it however)

Abit IT7Max2 2.0 is a good choice since it integrates a lot of stuff into it leaving you the need to get just the CPU, memory and video card to complete most of the system.
    I'd also look into Gigabyte's GA-PE667 motherboard as well, since it's on the same level of integration as the IT7Max2.

If you go the Athlon route, anything with the nVida nForce 2 chipset is a good idea. LAN and 5.1 channel sound are staples with all motherboards, and contain the latest AGP 8x capabilities and DDR 400 support. Abits NF7-S is a good choice as is Asus A7N-8X.

If you want a general recommendation list of what companies to look at, here they are: Abit, Asus, MSI, Iwill, AOpen, Tyan, and SuperMicro. I'd stay away from ECS, Epox and FIC---I've been really disappointed by their quality and stability (or lackthereof).

9. BigNutz

BigNutz Geek Trainee

dude what kinda ram should i get? this board ABIT IT7 MAX2 ver.2.0 Intel 845PE chipset ATX motherboard Retail and p4 2.66 what ram?

10. BigNutz

BigNutz Geek Trainee

well im done i hope, this is what i ordered... i hope it makes me a good computer go ahead and tell me if i fucked up so i can order the new parts and just ship the wrong ones back when they get

here ABOVE OEM CPUs HAVE 1 YEAR WARRANTY 1 $14.80
    ATI |RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB 8X RTL 1 $338.00
    POWER SP|420W(P4)W0009R TT RT 1 $58.00
    MB i845PE|4P1A3D IT7MAX2ver2.0 ABIT 1 $167.00
    CPU P4/2.66GHz 533M 478PIN/512K RET 1 $296.00
    DDRAM 256MB 32MX8 PC-3500C2 COR% 2 $224.00
    CPU THERM PASTE|ARCTIC SILVER 3 3G% 1 $6.00
    HD 80GB|WD 7200RPM 8MB WD800JB% 1 $107.00
    CASE MOD| COLD CATHODE 12RED TT RT 1 $14.99
    CASE TT|10 ATXF XASERII A5000 A+ RT 1 $128.00

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The RAM is considerably faster than what you'll need, but it's good stuff. Looks good overall.

12. BigNutz

BigNutz Geek Trainee

sweet man that makes me feel better, i was worrying i may have F ed up, but i acutally had that Mobo picked out before u said something and then after you said something i looked at a few others and that seems like the best. do u think the heat sink and fan that comes with my cpu, u think it will be enough to keep it cool?

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The P4 retail heatsink is quite good actually. Unless you're an extreme overclocker, I'd just leave it.

14. BigNutz

BigNutz Geek Trainee

aight well i dont know how to overclock so im not gonna mess with that, the ram will still work even though its alot quicker than what i need right?

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. Faster won't hurt anything. If you want to messing with RAM timings, you'll probably have more leeway in lowering them without problems.