Aerocool ExtremEngine 3T

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Dracula28, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Dracula28

Dracula28 Geek Trainee

Hello

I bought this case, but I have a few questions that I have not been able to get answered. The problem is that there was no instruction/installation manual that accompnied the case. Of course I managed to install everything, but a couple of problems have occured after I switched the pc on.

First of all, the fan control does not work properly, I can either shut off the case fans completely, or run them at full speed, I can not control the degree of speed they should be ran at. If I turn the knob away from full speed, they turn themselves off. So I can either have them on or off, nothing in between.

I connected the fans according to this:

[​IMG]

Are they supposed to act like that, or am I doing something wrong? Second, the PSU fan runs at 690 RPM. I've read several places that I have to install the PSU upside-down in this case, but I did not do that, as the PSU I used (a chieftec CFT-560A-12S) feautres a fan that I wanted to be on the bottom for proper ventilation.

[​IMG]

As you see from this picture, there is a protector outside the PSUs fan, and the sides of it are resting on metal plates inside the case. Those metal plates are there to provide support to the psu when installed upside-down, like Aerocool want you to install it (which is pretty stupid). And I think that prevents the PSU fan to run at around 900rpm (it rather runs at 690rpm), beucase if I physically push the psu upwards, the fan runs at 900rpm.

Would it be harmful to mount the PSU upside down? Because that would mean poor ventilation, as the fan would almost hit the ceiling of the case.

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Well, if there is space between the top of the case and the power supply then the air flow should still be fine, same as otherwise, it just wouldn't suck up any hot air from the case. I had this issue with a power supply once, and it was ok. Well the controller just changes the voltages going to each fan, and order they are plugged in shouldn't really matter that would just be for convenience. Hmm, so it would seem that there is a voltage issue, or that the switches don't work on the dials. Have you looked around to see if this is common?

3. Dracula28

Dracula28 Geek Trainee

I think if I connect another power connector from the PSU than the "case fan only" connector to the fan control, I can fix the fan control problem. I think you are right about the fan control just not adjusting the amount of voltage properly, to run the fans properly.

As for the PSU, I guess I'll just have to mount it upside down, but I'm worried about the ventilation. Maybe I can make some ventilation holes on top of the case (which would ruin it). There is some space, I can almost fit my hand in there, if I lay it flat, but still, I dont really think its good enough personally.

What do you suggest? Should I just mount it upside down?

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Yeah that might work, sounds like a good idea.
    well like i said, if there is some space then there will be circulation, it would be different if it was pushing air through that small space. Think of the area that most inlet fans have on the font of cases, which is usually not much. So as long as there is some open space there and theres nothing in the way, i think it should be fine.

5. Dracula28

Dracula28 Geek Trainee

Well, I cut off the metal plates instead, so there is nothingpushing against its fan anymore, but the fan still runs at only 649rpm.

I know for sure that it has ran at around 850rpm before, when I pushed it upwards. This is getting annoying, I guess there is something wrong with the PSU. I'll look around for some info on this particular PSU, and see if the fan still only runs at around 649 rpm if I dont fasten it with screws at all.

The fan control was fixed when I used another connector instead.

Btw, thanks for the tips. :)

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

your welcome glad it worked out