AM2 Gaming Rig: Processor

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by LoneStar, Sep 18, 2006.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

I was debating between the Athlon 64 3500+ and the 3800+ X2. Now I know that the X2 is the better CPU, but will I tell that much of a difference if I mostly use this thing for gaming?? Its like a $70 price diff.

My Hardware:
    DFI Ifinity Mobo
    Jaton 7900gt
    WD Caviar 200GB
    Samsung Lightscribe DVD Burner
    Antec True Power 550 Watt

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Currently you'll see no difference, the 3500+, as dumb as it seems might even perform a little better. The 3800X2 is clocked at 2.0GHz and the 3500+ is at 2.2GHz. Since no games really take advantage of dual core yet the 3800X2 isn't going to provide any boost with it's second core really. In time you'll see a difference but if gaming's your main concern in the short run I'd save money and get a 3800+ (single core) off newegg for like $111, and it's clocked at 2.4Ghz so it'd be a steal. But as I said dual core will see it's day, but it will take a while to get fully implemted in a lot of games.

3. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Is there any physical differences between the 3500 and 3800? Or is it just just clock speeds? Because I don't want to spend more money on something that I can push higher anyway.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Well as far as the cores go no, they should be the same. Although i do believe that dual core processors run cooler than single cores. On the no games with dual core support, thats completely not true and even then most games in the furture will support multiple core.
    Dual Core supported games . . .

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

As in the difference between the 3500+ and 3800+ single cores? No, I do no believe so, but for like $15 more I think the extra 200MHz is worth it. That way the 3800+ could hit like 3GHz, while the 3500+ might only get to 2.8. See what I'm saying.

6. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Yeah I gotcha. I probably will go with the 3800 single. I've read up on it and some people experience problems with the dual cores while running some games.

7. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

AAAAHHHHH!!! I was just about to order my 3800+ of newegg, but they pulled it of there! They still have the 3500 and the 3800 X2 (which they lowered the price on by 3 bucks.....woohoo). So I think I'm just gonna go w/ the 3500 and overclock it a little.:dry:

8. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

NVM..........................its outta stock, so its at the bottom of the list. LOL

9. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i have a dual core machine and i'd recommend a X2 because there are a lot of games that take advantage of the dual core processors rate now plus, most every game to come out will be multiple core optimized