AMD/ATI making better linux drivers

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by RHochstenbach, Sep 6, 2007.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Read this article. It is a review about the new ATI graphics driver for Linux. It appears that the new upcoming drivers will improve the use of ATI graphics cards in Linux :)

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, it's about bl**dy time

Edit: it's just a shame those with ATI cards will have to wait, but it's good to know it's coming

Edit: it's also good news that older GPUs will be supported by fglrx 8.42

BTW: well it'll be fun watching Intel battle AMD & NVIDIA with the Integrated grfx, as Integrated grfx currently occupies about 60% of the overall desktop market

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

True, I'm not using Linux because all my PCs have an ATI graphics card. When the new drivers are released, I can finally use it again :)

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, 8.42 should be available next month, unless they have more problems

Edit: may try my old ATI grfx card, from my days of XP

5. ONwebCHECK

ONwebCHECK Geek Trainee

hmmm, but if I think about my notebooks so my Linux (Ubuntu) works better with my Intel based Notebooks than with my AMD based Notebook.
    But I also donĀ“t care about 3D power on VGA.

6. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Finally. I remember having a few issues with my ATI card a while back, never did get it working 100% hopefully these new ones do the job.

7. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Regardless of ATI's new stance of Open Source Drivers, I must admit that I am now Intel all the way! The GMA cards aren't all that bad and they can run Compiz very well! At the end of the day, that is all I need a 3D driver for so screw nVidia and ATi for taking so long! :cool:

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

AMD/ATI's new drivers test up to 50x better than the old ones on some benchmarks. Since they've open-sourced parts of it, this will only continue to increase. That'll also force NVidia to throw more effort at it, and maybe even do a little open-sourcing of their own to compete. Intel has great integrated graphics, and its awesome that their drivers are open source. That means Intel is my first choice for graphics for "home users" running Linux. For even light gaming though, Intel comes up wanting performance-wise. Still, it's good to have as many solid choices as we do today.