AMD fan MUST READ

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG, Apr 26, 2005.

1. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

nice read

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sweet link zRock, should be seeing some good stuff from AMD somewhat soon then. It's kind of weird to think that a 6800 Ultra (aka transistor wh0re) has over twice as many transistors than a FX 55 (222mill vs. 105.9), I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Thats because often today's GPUs are far more complex than CPUs. While a CPU has main logic parts, cache and registers etc. A GPU will need RAMDACS, the core of the GPU itself(which in fact is just like what a normal CPU has in terms of induvidual ocmponents) plus rendering chips and deep pipelines with the expensive register cache needed aswell. The most powerful of today's GPUs often have more power than CPUs.

Concerning the article, hopefully this new FAB and 90nm/65nm production techniques will drive costs down, increase yields and make things cheaper. Cheap is good.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

You're one knowledgable man Addis, thanks for clearing that up, I should talk to Sniper sometime about promoting you to Mod of video cards, TTF displays and all (surprised he hasn't yet). Oh and have a thankyou point to mate.

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

then lets try to run a computer on a 6800 ultra lol wait that means that eventually all this will integrate with the processor and you would simply switch out the processor with the video card integrated in, sweet. yea the future of computers will be modular, think of ur pc being a gameboy and slipping in a Windows XP cartridge in one of slots and boom, its installed and everything. haha thats how its gonna be

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Minus the windows part. :p

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hehe, good one zrock, running a PC on a 6800 Ultra, that would be quite the time, moving to integrated processors (I can see Dell offering that), oh man...

9. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

10. Addis

Addis The King

Lol well said.

Ex: I'm not quite responsible enough for mod. I tend to do random things too much, like suck on cups and play swingball. News Crew 0wnz!!!!!!1

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah, it's the shiz mate!

12. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG