Animated gif images

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Evans of Sprot, Jan 21, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

That goes to show just having an MCSE doesn't make you a computer expert ;)

You know, you might have to install a fresh copy of Windows XP. Windows should support GIF images out-of-the-box.

Oh, I've just remembered something :) Do you have Windows Picture Viewer installed? Click Control Panel > Add/remove programs > Windows Setup > Look for Windows Picture & Fax viewer (it may be called Windows Imaging). Tick the check box and press next.

Right click the GIF file you want to open, point to Open With > select Windows Picture & Fax Viewer (Imaging)

2. Evans of Sprot

Evans of Sprot Geek Trainee

Regretably I've not got that.
    If I were to buy the XP product, as I was not supplied with it when I bought the computer, would I be able to install it on my computer remembering that the one I have already installed is the Professional version.

3. megamaced

Does Windows ask you for the CD when you try to install it in Windows Setup?

I don't think you can get it as a separate download, but I may be wrong.

If you buy a copy of XP Professional, then you will be able to install the viewer. I am not sure if it will work with Home Edition

4. Evans of Sprot

A surprise!
    I've got the EU flag gif installed in 'My Documents' - when I clicked Properties it showed an option 'Windows Picture Viewer'.
    I clicked it and the gif file is now working there, but there only. On here, for example, it does not work.
    Some progress then.

5. Evans of Sprot

Anymore ideas please.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Did animated GIFs ever work, or did they suddenly cease working?

7. Evans of Sprot

That I don't know. I've been thinking of retoring to the day I picked it up just to see.

8. megamaced

Because this is such a strange and unique problem, there is little I can suggest. Your best bet would be to get hold of an XP CD, and install Windows Picture Viewer. And if that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall XP from scratch. Like i've said, Windows XP should support GIF images out of the box.

How important are these images to you? If this problem is really getting on your nerves, prehaps you should reinstall Windows?

9. Evans of Sprot

Back to Acme computers then and thanks.