Annoying Teachers

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Matt555, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well I thought I'd have a rant about annoying teachers:
    An old ICT told my brother that my computer is going to blow up because I have Cold Cathode Tubes on it and because I overclocked it, now let me fill you in on this teachers, he's a know-it-all-I'm-better-and-have-everything-better-than-you kinda teacher, which makes him annoying. He reckons what he has is always better than someone else's stuff, now he may or may not have a fast high-end PC, but the fact that he just goes around proclaiming everyhing he has is better is just bloody annoying and childish.
    Anyway, yes PC's do go *pop* occasionally when overclocked, he reckons that my PC is overheating, when actually it runs cooler under load than some people's PC's do when idle. And he reckons my PSU isn't good enough to handle it, I know my PC isn't the greatest thing in the world but what I have is what I (and many other people) would consider a decent PSU. It may not be the newest design but when a PSU like my one passes tests (see this thread for tests of PSU's, mine included) like those ones then I'd consider it a decent unit.
    Now onto the issue of the Cold Cathode Tubes - he thinks that these things suck all the power out of a PSU and damage PC's, now this may be the case if you have a crappy-come-with-case-generic-PSU but when you've got a PSU made by a company that actually know's what a PSU has to deal with then this isn't the case.
    Okay sometimes you get a duff unit and things go *bang* unexpectedly, but the fact this teacher feels he has to just say things like that to try and prove he knows something (when actually what he said just isn't always true) is just stupid.
    So what have we learned, absolutely bugger all but I just wanted to have a rant, so please fill us in on any annoying teachers you've come across.

Matt

2. Fred

Fred Moderator

Yeah, your situation sucks quite a bit. I hate teachers like that. As far as similar experiences go, I have not had the privilage of dealing with teachers that are as bad as yours. In high school, teachers were either completely ignorant, so they didn't say anything at all or they knew a little bit and knew that they knew a little bit.

Thus far, the most pathetic computer teachers that I've met have been teachers at my college. The first was in a "Computer Literacy" class - The teacher actually seemed to know what he was talking about, but for some reason, he wanted us to use a certain piece of software to submit our work so a script could grade it for him. This piece of software only runs in Windows, not Mac, UNIX, Linux, BSD, etc. To make matters worse, it doesn't even emulate via WINE. This bothered me for a couple of reasons: 1. He admitted to running a version of Linux and Mac. He doesn't even own a Windows box - he should feel my pain. I ended out dropping out of the class. 2. My school is a piece of the government... the same government that has been accussing Microsoft of being a monopoly. So a government that is "against monopolies" is tellling the students at their community college that if they want to pass the class, they will have to run Microsoft.

The other teacher in my college that is any idiot is proffessor of "Survey of Computer Technology." There's no one thing in particular that I dont like about this teacher... he's pretty much a waste to mankind in every aspect of his life. It's hard to give specifics, because I really try not to listen to much he says. He really is that pathetic. It is normal for him to say at least one stupid, incorrect thing every day. One more thing is simply that he has yet to come into class with a prepared lecture. Every day, he comes in and sits down at the computer for 15-20 minutes and literally googles what he's going to speak on that day. It's no wonder that half of the things he says are wrong.

Yeah, I think that was a bit long, but I hope it got the point across. ;)

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

You did, and i feel for you, yeah this inparticular teacher probably does know a lot, but to go around rubbing in people's faces that what you have is 'better' (even when they won't say what it is) is just childish. It's kinda like the whole "my toy is better than yours" things when you were little (if you ever experienced that)
    The thing is I know my computer isn't all that good, and I admit it, yeah sure I've spent some money making it look nice but that's because I wanted to - so what, it's my computer and was my money, if I didn't know what I was doing then I wouldn't do it.
    What really makes me laugh is this teacher once told me he "admired my knowledge in the field of ICT"
    :chk:

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

We have those sort of teachers. Its my electronics teacher that I can think of. His things are always the best :)

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Teachers here that go around thinking they are PC/mac guru's fixing the other teacher's computer instead of reinstalling windows they replace the hard drive and put on a new install.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

My school used to hire me after class to do under-the-table PC repair jobs since the staff was too incompetent to do it themselves. I don't know why, as I was a troublemaker (they actually made up a whole new set of rules inspired by me after I left). Why do schools, educators for crying out loud, always have the most blatently incompetent staff of any organizations?

7. Addis

Addis The King

I think in cases where the teacher is painfully arrogant with an attitude like that, you should speak calmly, in a composed manner and use backup information to prove his ass wrong, while not getting into a stressed mood.

ICT teachers do what they're paid to do. They teach ICT. ICT isn't the ins and outs of computers and software. Its crap, sometimes pointless and utterly boring when your whole ICT curriculum lies around "Using Microsoft Publisher create a leaflet for a sandwich shop" etc etc. Computing (not ICT) is going to be far more interesting in college next year.

Getting into debates with teachers on a subject you excel in is fun. Especially when it involves using non MS software.

edit: IT staff in my school are also incompetent. They can't run a network with decent performance to save their lives. I keep thinking back to the time when I had 17000+ emails in my school inbox telling me I had exceeded my limit. I got about 100 more a day, until one day I put a guestick, with a mouse on top over the delete key and left it for 10 minutes.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah ICT is just about using Access, Publisher, Word and Excel and stuff, that just annoys me, I'd rather do a course where you learn about the 'ins and outs' of computers, it would be much more interesting.

9. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Hehe I remember that email thing. ANd yeah ICT sucks but I wouldnt say shes annoying teacher..she certainly doesnt try to outsmart us :)