Another record broken.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zeus, Jul 25, 2006.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I think that day will come soon when a disk will come out with Infinite storage limit. You will be just storing in air or something..........:)

3. zeus

zeus out of date

static charged dust particles maybe?

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I remember something that poped up on slashdot awhile back... something about holding an electron between two atoms to represent a binary 1, and removing it to represent binary 0.... if they ever do it then drive capacity will be measired in petabytes

techinacally when refering to disk space we should now be using kibi, mibi, gibi, tebi.... not kilo, mega, giga, tera [source - IEC 60027 ]

5. Addis

Addis The King

Impotence that seems like quantum computing, where there can be 4 different states of quantum matter instead of the electrical binary which holds 2. Using quantum computing would effectively render all encryption algorithms obsolete and insecure, but that would pave the way for new quantum encryption methods. (Uses the superposition states of matter, and the uncertainty theorem to stop people snooping, or something to that effect),

Some interesting technology Seagate have there, but the injecting lubricant seems a bit dodgy.

6. Impotence

So im not the only one thinking along thoose lines... they state that the lubricant tank will last the length of the drive, which could mean one of two things to me:-

1. The storage tank can hold enough lubricant to last longer than any expected hardware failure (motors, circutry etc)
    2. When the lubricant runs out, the drive stops working. The lubricant "lasts the length of the drive"... but in this case, the amount of lubricant determiens the length of the drive :O
    i would hope for number one...

7. zeus

zeus out of date

Its probably number 2, though they would never admit it.

8. Impotence

I wouldnt shell out for a Blu-Ray or HDDVD drive just yet... Holographic storage a reality before the end of the year

Holographic is just a fancy way of saying storing data in 3 dimensions, instead of 2. I'll post that up in news when i get news crew stats back! (tempory problem :p)

This tech would make 100Gb discs to size of postage stamps, blu-ray only stores 50 a normal sized disc

PS i know there have been alot of stories about insane storage spage on the way, but this ones diffrent, as it is actually ON the way!

9. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Nice find impotence....
    I was just wondering while reading the article that, does data in HDD stores in the 3D form?