Anti Malware Delete Quarantine or Clean Option

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by rahulkhajuria, May 16, 2011.

1. rahulkhajuria

rahulkhajuria Geek Trainee

Anti Malware Delete Quarantine or Clean Option?

When a file suspected of being a malware or malware-infected is detected by the Anti-Malware , does the Anti Malware Program normally take the decision itself as to whether this file has to be cleaned , quarantined or deleted straightaway & only if it is really confused as to whether the file is malware or whether it is a system file or user file , ask the user what has to be done with the file ? Or is it that most Anti Malware Programs never take the decision themselves & always ask the user what to do ? Do Anti-Malware Programs differ greatly amongst themselves in this respect .

For a p.c. user like me who gets confused whenever this question is popped up by the anti malware program as to whether the file has to be deleted or put in quarantine ( Of course , if the "clean" option is also presented before me , I always try that first) , which type of anti malware would be best ? Are the chances of making wrong decisions greater if the anti malware is normally deciding by itself what to do or are they greater when the anti malware normally puts the decision on the user ?

From this Perspective ,if I have to create my own mini fool-proof (or atleast reasonably reliable) Security Suite by choosing one Program from the first Category & one (or if necessary 2 or even 3) Programs from the Second Category , how should I be going about the selection . Of Course , please note that excellent detection rate is also of paramount importance to me as a factor for deciding on anti-malware :

Category I - Antivirus

1) Avira (Free)
    2) Avast (Free)
    3) AVG (Free)

Category II - Only Spyware

1) SpyBot (Free)
    2) Spyware Blaster (Free)
    3) Spyware Terminator (Free)
    4) AdAware (Free)
    5) Malwarebytes (Free)
    6) Threatfire (Free)

Also , in Category II , which are the Programs that are memory - resident & which have to be run manually ?

How does Norton Total Security behave in this respect ?

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

Most antivirus software will prompt you asking you want to clean the file or quarantine it. This may not be true for all kinds of virus scanning software, but usually what happens is the AV software does it scans, then it shows you what it found, then it asks you what you would like to do about it. This is also true for a lot of the anti malware software where they show you what it found and then asks you to choose which items to remove or if you want it to ignore certain types.

As for choosing antivirus, I have used both AVG and Avast and they seem to work well, though AVG, at least to me when I ran it, seemed to take up more system resources. It may have changed since then as a newer version is out from when I had it. I have never tried Avira before.

For Anti malware software, I have spybot running as well as malwarebytes on my computers. If you set the tea timer to run for spybot, it runs when you log in and locks the registry from changes so it stays resident in memeory. The free version of malwarebytes does not stay in memory. You just start it when you need to do a scan. The paid version of malwarebytes has live scan where it stays in memory running all the time. I have used adaware and it worked pretty well too, but for now I just use spybot and malwarebytes because they seem to catch most everything between them.

One other thing you should get for a security suite is a firewall. Good free ones that I would recommend are Comodo or Zone Alarm. They have more options than just the standard windows firewall and either of them should do good for you.

I used to have Norton AV and Firewall in 2005 version, and it did work really well. It found stuff others did not, but they want you to essentially pay full price for it every year to renew, or else you can no longer get updates. That is the reason I left them for the free programs

Sniper likes this.