any readers, (anyone read a lot of books)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Swansen, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

ok, so like all art teachers mine is crazy, and she just decided at the last minute to throw in that our HUGE ass mural has to be about something from a book. So, what i am wanting is to draw/paint a cityscape, or something similiar. That said, i need a book with a city in if, preferably a more fantasy like city, or maybe an older like colonial city. Yeah, i really am kinda out of idea, grrr, the worst part is that she lied, when i asked if she changed it, she like defended herself poorly and was all, well assignments can change at any time blah blah, then shes all did you read the syllabus..... well i hadn't look that far ahead to the end of the class, so i looked in the syllabi !!! which is singular for syllabus, but her friggin :swear: :swear: wouldn't know that. Anyways, i looked over the syllabi for about five minutes, and it doensn't even have any details about the damn mural, just a due date. So i'm going to ask her about that one, and she will all be well blah blah why are we talking about it, shouldn't you be working, blah blah, i'm a dumb :swear:

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

You could always do the red-light district from the beginning of the first red dwarf book - infinity welcome's carefull drivers. I think it was on titan, so you could pretty much do what you like there :D

And btw - reading your posts give me ice-cream-headaches ^_^

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol, yeah i get that, but thats, that like saves my life, wwoo. Lol, seriously though, i'll prolly just start drawing what i had in mind, then just read the book sometime afterwards, thanks.

4. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hah, if you want a fantasy city, here's a wealth of material: Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, even The Hobbit all feature some important parts of plot revolving around special cities or castles.

Come to think of it, I think lots and lots of fantasy books make some kind of city an important part of their plot. The Dark Elf Trilogy with Menzoberranzen, the Inheritance Trilogy with Tronjheim, etc. etc. Those are just a couple offhand examples.

P.S. oh yeah, and by the way, syllabus is singular. Syllabi is the plural form ... rofl

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

dammit man, you got my point, i had the words backwards, was a long day, she used them wrong didn't catch that i wrote it wrong till now. Anyways, don't want to use any Tolkien stuff because everyone knows that, and what the cities look like. But i'll check into the other books

6. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Well, the Silmarillion isn't that popular though. Sure, everyone knows Tolkien and LoTR, especially due to the movie, but the Silmarillion isn't anywhere near that status.

Haha, and what about Narnia and Cair Paravel? I guess that's more of a castle though, not so much a city?... hmm... Or is it also too popular anyway?

A couple more examples I can think of is Ursula LeGuin's novels about Earthsea, featuring Roke, (they're a short series actually) and Irene Radford's Dragon Nimbus series involving, I think, Coronnan City... or whatever the capital is called.

7. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Geek

You want ideas Swanson, check out Terry Pratchett here.
    This guy is the dogs bollocks when it comes to wacky story lines.

8. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol, no i just need a city, well a fantasy like city in a book, i already have what i want to do for the city. But like a couple of weeks ago she sprung on us that our image needs to come from a narrative, i had already figured out what i wanted to draw, so i just needed a book with a city in it so i could be like, yeah so it came from this book and its called so and so, (but really its not, its just my image that i am going to say that i got from a book)