Anyone know how I can get 4k resolution copies of movies?

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by ashinms, May 10, 2011.

1. ashinms

ashinms Geek

My eyfinity group supports that kind of resolution (actually 2k, but whatever... same concept)

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

3. Ustavh

Ustavh Geek

I'll start with the bad news. Even though TVs with 4K/Ultra high-definition resolution have been available for a couple of years now, there still aren't a lot of actual 4K TV shows and movies available.

Aside from YouTube, 4K today mostly consists of original TV series streaming from Netflix and Amazon. We won't get 4K Blu-ray until next year, and there are no 4K TV channels in sight.
    So whats the good news? There is more 4k than the last year, and your
    new 4K TV probably has an app or three that can show it for free (as part of your subscription). If your TV doesn't have the right app, you can buy a new 4K-streaming device, like a Roku 4, to serve up those extra pixels.

4K promises improved picture quality since it has four times as many pixels as the highest high-definition resolution, namely 1080p/1080i. Those extra pixels are often very difficult to discern in the best of cases however, and in our tests 4K streams and regular high-definition streams looked very similar. So even though 4K can look great, so can good old 1080p, and you shouldn't expect to be blown away by the difference.

Below you'll find a roundup of today's 4K/Ultra HD sources and what you'll need to watch them on your TV. It's important to keep in mind that almost all the content listed is streaming, and to do that, you'll need an Internet connection of at least 15 Mbps, ideally more. Netflix recommends 25 Mbps.

Amazon
    Amazon Original shows like "The Man in the High Castle" and Amazon pseudo-exclusives like "Orphan Black." Certain shows, like "Mozart in the Jungle" and "Bosch," are also in High Dynamic Range (HDR). Some 4K movies can be purchased or rented.

You'll need: A Prime subscription ($99, £79 per year, but includes things like free 2-day shipping, music streaming and more) for streaming; built-in apps; the latest Fire TV box or Roku 4.

Netflix
    Netflix original shows, like "House of Cards" and "Jessica Jones," and movies like "Star Trek Into Darkness" and "Skyfall."