Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard Problems

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by northernpenguin, Nov 3, 2004.

1. northernpenguin

northernpenguin Geek Trainee

I have just purchased an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with a Athlon 3000+ cpu and 2 sticks of 512 DDR RAM. After installation, I power up the motheboard, and get the power light on the MOBO to come on, as does the CPU fan. However, that's it! No beeps, no video, nothing! Before I take it apart again to check all jumpers (I left all at default), does anyone have any ideas?? Why no beep?

Thx............northernpenguin :swt:

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Did you make sure that you checked the CMOS?

Check your manual / motherboard guide as to where it is, there will be a set of 3 pins in a row called the CMOS, 2 of them will be covered by a jumper (a small peice of plastic covering) like this then merely remove the jumper from the two pins its covering, and move the peice of plastic (jumper) to cover the other two pins, now try it..

Here's a basic idea:

I I I (3 Pins - without jumper on (peice of plastic)
    I [ ] (3 pins with the jumper on)

Your cmos will either be set like this:
    I [ ]
    or like this:
    [ ] I

just change it so its the opposite to whatever it was set to..- In both cases the letter "I" in my diagram being a pin that you can see (ie: not covered by the jumper)

Move here:
    [ ] I

If that doesnt work, move the CMOS Jumper back to its original position, try again.. that should be your problem :good: (realise this is not a perfect diagram e.t.c but i want to goto lunch :D )

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I don't recommend you power up the system with the CMOS jumper set to the Clear position.

You should really chek your mobo's manual before attempting this.

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Harrack, although i do not think powering the PC on with the CMOS cleared will make any difference, i was not trying to suggest to merely try any config, but as you know some motherboards, come with the CMOS set in the wrong position.

Also i have this motherboard and i had the same problem, but just moved cmos and it was fine.

: )

I maybe wrong & if i am please correct me, but powering the pc on with CMOS cleared will not and should not damage anything, unless there is something wrong with the motherboard as a design floor / fault of delivery / shipping or treatment.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It won't boot that's for certain.

6. northernpenguin

My MOBO manual says the following:

To erase the RTC RAM:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
    2. Remove the onboard battery.
    3. Move the jumper from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5~10 seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.
    4. Replace the battery.
    5. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
    6. Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup menu.
    7. Load the BIOS default settings or key-in data.

I don't have a problem with these directions, however, I would be reluctant to follow the advice from ProcalX (no offense intended! :D ) without knowing what it will do to the BIOS. Clearing the RAM is not a problem and I will do it now, but I am not prepared to jumper pins 2-3 with the power on and the battery still in place.

7. Addis

Addis The King

I wouldn't advise clearing the jumper with the power on. You can clear with the battery still in thats ok don't try to do it while your PC is on.

8. northernpenguin

Well, I cleared the CMOS (as per the MOBO manual), and still no difference. I plugged in the power cord, turned on the ATX pwr supply (MOBO LED turned green), then pressed the pwr switch. CPU fan turned on ......and that's it!

Any ideas before I take everything apart again and recheck all jumpers & connections? :confused:

9. Addis

Addis The King

Check that you've installed the CPU HSF properly and check that you've not allowed any part of the mobo to touch the case and short circuit.

10. northernpenguin

If there was a short, would the mobo pwr light still be turned on?

11. Addis

Addis The King

Yes thats possible. When mine wouldn't boot i fixed it by getting the mobo out and starting again.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, that's another thing that can cause your board not to boot: having a spacer shorting out the motherboard.

Another thing that comes to mind as a possibility is that the power supply you have doesn't have the grunt to push around the Athlon 64. I don't know what you have in that respect, but if it came with the case, it's a likely culprit as they typically aren't that good.

13. northernpenguin

Hmmm....good point about the power supply. It was previously used to power up a P4 1200 mobo from ASUS.... There's no power rating on it, except the letters MC24687 and a label that says Pentium 4.

Nothing in my mobo manual specifies the wattage...any ideas? My cpu is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+.

14. northernpenguin

Well, I confirmed that the pwr supply is not the problem. I removed everything off the mobo except for the cpu & fan, and still no beeps.

That tells me that its either the mobo or the cpu....I'm going to have to check around to see if I have a processor that works in this board, otherwise its back to the reseller!

Thanx for all the help!

:good:

15. shan

shan Geek Trainee

What brand memory are you using? In my experience with the K8V SE Deluxe, is that it does not like certain types of memory. They may be resolved with a newer BIOS version. What version number is on the BIOS chip sticker?

For a fact, I know that Corsair XMS DDR3200 works. Try to removing one of the sticks of memory and try to boot. If that does not work, switch the sticks in the same slot. This board does not have an onboard speaker. Makes sure that a speaker is attached or use some headphones to make sure that there is no error message.

Hope this helps.

16. northernpenguin

Good idea, but I've been there. I removed all RAM, Video Cards, etc, made sure speaker wires were attached, disconnected all drives, floppies, CDROM, and.......still nothing.

I called the reseller today, and am shipping back both the cpu & mobo. We'll see what happens from there..........

Thanx again everyone, for all the help!!

:good: