Asus M2N32 Motherboard Serious Issues

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by audio84, Jun 14, 2009.

1. audio84

audio84 Geek Trainee

Hi!

The following problem is a bit lengthy, but I'd REALLY appreciate your time!!!!

For the past few months I've been experiencing some serious issues with my computer, but haven't put my finger on what part of the hardware is causing the problem. My PC is as follows:

- Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe n570 Motherboard
    - AMD Athlon X2 6000+ Processor
    - nVidia 9800GTX+ 512mb Graphics
    - 2gb (2x1gb) 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair RAM
    - Jeantech Storm 700W Power Supply
    - WD 500GB Hard Drive

So this is what's been happening..

It originally started with a BIOS beep on startup. One long beep, three short beeps. After looking into it, I found that this was a GPU error.. but after testing four different GPU's, it's impossible the GPU is causing the problem. I've tried two different PSU's (600W & 700W), different hard drives, and checked the temperatures were fine.

More recently I've been having stuttering problems. The mouse, sound, video, everthing stutters for a split second constantly. Now the only things left to cause the problem is the RAM, CPU & Mobo. I've kind of ruled out the CPU, as I doubt it would be causing this. I've done two different CPU torture tests (Hot CPU & Prime95) and both have no errors, although when testing the RAM on both of these programs, the computer stutters and eventually grinds to a halt.. leaving me think that it's the RAM.

HOWEVER (bare with me sorry), upon taking my RAM to a friends house with an identical motherboard (M2N32-SLI), the RAM ran perfect. Also when he installed his identical RAM into my computer, it still grinded to a halt on the RAM tests.

So my final thoughts is that the motherboard has a fault and needs replacing. But before I spend a lot of money on a brand new one, I just want to make sure that you all agree?

Thanks for your time, much appreciated!!!

Audio84

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

try the ram in a different dimm on your motherboard. have you tried running memtest?

3. audio84

audio84 Geek Trainee

Yep. Tried all four ports, with 1 chip and 2 chips inserted, also ran memtest but regardless of that I tried different RAM chips anyway. I've also updated the BIOS.

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

you tried slower ram?

btw: have you overclocked your machine at all?

5. audio84

audio84 Geek Trainee

Both 233Mhz & 800Mhz RAM, no overclocking.

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Have you replaced the data cables for your hard drives and opticle drives? you tried upping your memory voltage VDRAM? other than that can't see it being anythin else but motherboard. Possibilty the memory controller is faulty. You can't expect anythin from Asus but piss poor quality.

7. audio84

audio84 Geek Trainee

Tried different cables, and have had no need to alter any voltages.. never have really, so it wouldn't be down to that. Thanks for the help though!

8. audio84

audio84 Geek Trainee

Right something's just popped up guys. I took my PC out of the case, layed it out on the table and connected it all up. While it was running with no case, it was perfect. No errors, no BOIS beeps, no stutterings or blue screens. It's running better than it used to.

Another thing I've noticed in my case (Thermaltake Armour) is that the back plate where the PCI slots are, isn't at a 90ยบ angle with the motherboard mounting plate. It's kind of bent slightly. Could this be the problem? The case bending the motherboard and causing some kind of stress??