audio and vidio problem-Please help me

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by mwe056, Nov 11, 2005.

1. mwe056

mwe056 Geek Trainee

Windows XP Home/Pentium 4/3D Extreme graphics/SoundMAX Intergrated Digital audio--Last week my dvd player started playing movies with slight vidio lag and choppy audio and distorted audio on cd's. Yesterday I re-installed the operating system and now I have NO audio on dvd's and VERY distorted audio on cd's. The dvd vidio has stayed the, same-slight lag. I don't know if it related or not but, I get a "general failure" error when trying to format cd/dvd discs in the dvd drive. This began at roughly the same time. P.S-the cd drive seems to work fine. Thanks for any help you can give me-MWE

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Are the integrated sound drivers installed?
    Also a failure when trying to format a DVD/CD? I don't know if you can do that unless it's a DVD+/-RW or CD-RW so that may be why you're getting a "General Error" when trying to do that.

3. mwe056

mwe056 Geek Trainee

How do I install intergrated sound drivers? Will they have an effect on the lagging video? FYI if it helps, I have 768 megs of ram (400-500 free at any given point) and 80 gig hard drive.

Yes, it is a DVD+/-RW drive and the CD-RW drive does not seem to be effected. I have had no problems formatting on the DVD drive until last week..Now I get 3/4 of the way through the format before the error.

What should I do? I have contacted the manufacture with no response. I appreciate any help you can give me- MWE

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

To install the drivers, you'll need the driver disc that should have come with your motherboard (unless it was OEM, then you may not have got one).
    If you have the disc, put it into one of your drives and see if on the menu there is anything about on-board drivers, if there is then just find the one for your integrated graphics and install it.
    I'm not sure on this one, I've never heard of formatting an optical drive unless it's got an RW disc in it. If anyone else knows what's going on then enlighten us please.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Follow Mat555's advice, having the proper drivers installed is crucial. Also upgrade to the latest version of DirectX, and make sure that each IDE device has DMA enabled.