Being Lazy in Linux

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by thomas234, Apr 3, 2009.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Hi, I'm trying out a Beta version of Kubuntu (9.04), and I have compiz effects installed. It all looks very nice! :)

However, being used to Windows, I'm used to being able to move the cursor the to very top right of the screen and clicking, and the window closing. However, this doesn't work as I have it setup at the moment, the cursor has to be actually over the button. It similar with a scroll bar on the very right of a maximized internet browser.

Is there any way or letting me be lazy again? I've searched through the compiz settings to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

downloading it now, so it'l problably take about 3 hours to DL, so if i can figure out KDE 4.2, hopefully i 'll have an answer for you

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

:eek: Thanks for the super quick reply!!

If you're downloading Kubuntu, compiz isn't installed by default. I just typed into the terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get install compiz
    and let it install whatever dependencies it wanted. It did say it couldn't find xgl, whatever that does, but the whole thing works anyway :)

Oh and now when I double click a window title bar, instead of maximising like it did 20 minutes ago, since I installed Emerald theme manager, it now rolls up so just the title bar remains :confused: I'll have a look at the settings.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

np
    just realized, could have just thrown KDE4.2 on Debian
    :beer:
    yeah, it's called "Slide" & i'll look @ it, it increaces a kind of virtual desktop by making windows use less room on your desktop

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

now remember stayed with KDE 3.5.x, i hated KDE 4.x.x, will figure it out tomorrow[ot]i hate KDE 4.2[/ot]

6. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Why do you hate 4.2? :D

I didn't like the BETA versions of it when I tried it last year, but I've got used to it now. :)

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:growl: i have figged out more than when i last tried it, but i still prefer 3.5

BTW: still trying to fig it out :growl:

8. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Fair enough :) I suppose that's for the same reason I use the classic theme in Windows XP, and the classic start menu (which has been removed from Windows 7 :mad:).

Thanks for going to all this trouble, it's appreciated!! :)

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, i have Vista setup using "classic" theme (like 98)
    just glad to attempt helping[ot]i realize i was less help than a chocolate fireguard[/ot]

Edit: thats 1 more reason for me not to use 7[ot]the reasons keep getting more & more[/ot]