Best cooler for pentium 4 3.0ghz prescott

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Willz, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I have looked on some sites and found a selection of cpu coolers, the thing is i cant decide which would be the best to cool my cpu, at the moment using stock intel heatsink/fan and one 80mm fan tie wraped to it, i get about 53 degrees idle, which it apparently too high for even stock, but i find it impossible to get it down.

these are some i looked for on the web:
    akasa
    zalman
    speeze
    zalman (dont know if this is for socket 478)
    coolmaster water thing
    coolmaster jet 4

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi Willhub

I am debating the exact same question at the moment -

http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=7085

The Akasa and Jet 4, I think, will be screemers. Check out their top RPM. 3000 and up can be veryloud. My stock fan speens at 2700-2800 at idle and is very audiable.... :(
    When you are getting into 'pipe-towers' you really need to start paying attention to weight. Remember, the mobo is just thin plastic and can only take so much weight, it is not so much a problem in desktops but can be potentialy distructive in towers....
    I saw raving reviews about Zalman and there will be an all copper one for the s478. however you really need to visit their site for compatiblity and clearance as the top of the 'crown' is very big and might get too close to the case or the northbridge heatsink. It will all be clearer when you visit the site.

The water thing looks like a mistake as a block is not what the picture is.

But, if you are going to spend the sort of money to buy you a Zalman, why not look at the AC freezer 4 (or is it 7?). I read people's reviews and they would swear by it. I think I saw somewhere a user who is ideling at 25-27C with this baby.... it retails in UK for £15-£20.

Just for comaprison - my 3ghz pressy idels at 45C and 58-59 under presure.
    All this with stock cooler. However, even at top temp, the fan does not go over 3100-3200 rpm. Weird isn't it?

You know... I think the best thing to do is to get one of them - all copper blocks and fit a constant rpm 120mm fan on it.

Good luck :good:

3. Willz

4. Willz

does anyone think that the ac freezer 7 is a good choice (if its skt478)?

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

the freezer 7 is for socket 775

7. Willz

right i am having the arctic freezer 4, i hope it will at least get my processor down to 40 degrees.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah with some AS5 properly applied and that cooler it should be fine :) (you get some thermal paste with the cooler but i opted for AS5 because i wasnt sure if you got any paste with the cooler and whether or not it would be any good.)

9. Willz

and if i still have shutting down problem, it must definitly be that the motherboard is faulty, well at least i think so.
    i will get my dad to order the ac freezer 4 in the morning, i would of thought it would of came with arctic silver 5 or somthing near enougth the same.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

the stuff it comes with is MX-1 High Performance Thermal Compound, it doesnt say whats in it or anything apart from the website www.arctic-cooling.com and about how long highest performance will take.

11. Willz

oh, btw, does the ac freezer 4 come with mounting things to actually connect it to motherboard, or does it use the black frame thing that came with the motherboard?

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

They clip onto the the black frame, there are instructions with it though. You slot one side (the side with little pointy-up things) in under the 'loop' things (they're like loops but not circular, they're square shaped) and then the other side has clips (which bend the piece of metal between the clips and the pointy-up things) and these clip in under the other 'loops' bit of a pain to get in but once its in its firmly secured and doesnt move in the slightest
    NOTE: dont push too hard on the mounting clips, pushing too hard could crack/snap your motherboard...just be patient and take care.
    (sorry about the wording e.g. Pointy-up things but thats the best i could describe it without drawing a picture) :p

Willz likes this.
  13. Willz

ah its ok :p, thanks for helping me make my mind up.

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

's alryt, glad i could help, good luck installing it, if you dont mind me asking, where did you order it from and how much?

15. Willz

i aint orderd it yet, i think i will order it from oc's.co.uk, you know in the link you gave me.

16. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Just remember the weight, i havent looked at the freezer but i think that intel recommend a max weight of about 450 Grams so i wouldnt go above say 600 grams just incase you break something!

17. Willz

well, my motherboard is properly screwed in, and on the website it does not advise again putting it in a tower, if it proves to heavy then i willl have some restraints (tie wraps), motherboards are not as easy to snap as you think.

18. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Yeah i know that they arent easy to break, just making sure you knew about the weight stuff!
    Not to worry.

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah it is big but not too heavy, not heavy enough to snap a motherboard i dont think unless your motherboard is flimsy, but it's easy enough to make a support if you need it so you shouldnt have any problems.

20. Willz

hmm, wich way does the fan face on it, becouse i dont want it to face the graphics card becouse then it will be sucking red hot air in, should i have it so its facing the back of the case, and then mount a case fan on the outside of the case to give it the space, the have the case fan sucking cool air in for the cpu cooler?