Best CPU for under $250?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by 0o0o, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Best to buy?

1. AMD FX-9370

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Intel i5-4670k

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Something else..

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 0o0o

0o0o Geek Trainee

Hey guys,

I was hoping I could get some advice. I wanted to build a PC for gaming, and I thought first I should decide on the CPU. I'm looking to spend no more than $250 and it's basically come down to a choice between the AMD FX-9370 or the Intel i5-4670k (the top two on Newegg for that price - http://www.newegg.com/Processors-Desktops/SubCategory/ID-343?PriceMin=20&PriceMax=250).

I've been looking at comparisons (like this one - http://versus.com/en/amd-fx-9370-vs-intel-core-i5-4670k) and it seems that the i5 is much better? But I noticed that one of the reasons on there for AMD was that it has a better result for overclocking. I was thinking about overclocking to get the most out of my system so in that case would it be better going with AMD?

Thanks in advance! :D

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

That FX-9370 is very highly clocked FX-8350 part that requires expensive motherboard.

So look for FX-8320 or FX-8350 instead.

3. Bogdanov989

Bogdanov989 Geek Trainee

I am in no way a hardware expert, but i would definitely stick to the Intel branch of CPUs.

Combination of personal experience, reading various reviews, reading support websites, talking to hardware experts - overall everyone/everything i found out suggests to take the Intel i5/i7.

Overclocking requires a good motherboard, a good cooling for the CPU and for the rest of the PC components to be "equally fast" as the overclocked CPU.
    You wont get much benefit from a super fast CPU if your other PC parts are slow - and all of that requires moneeey.

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

All experts also recommend Apple products. So far I'm stuck with PC and see no reason to buy Apple even if experts recommend it. "Experts" are usually paid for their recommendations.

In 2014 I wouldn't even consider quad core processors at 200$ price range. Octa core processors are so useful in practice, when running many software simultaneously.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What parts (aside from the motherboard) are you pairing with the CPU and what do you plan to do with the machine?