Best Ram For Msi 870a-g54

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Canadianjameson, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Canadianjameson

Canadianjameson Geek Trainee

Hi all,

I was just given a computer from a friend minus some parts, namely the ram, a power supply, and a wireless network card. Given that I don't want to shop blind I have the following questions:
    • The mobo has a 16-gig max of PC3-10600 ram. Seeing as it's dual channel i figured 2x the Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1333 MHz PC3-10666 set of modules, but i would appreciate another opinion of both appropriateness and price (yes, I'm from Canada, lol):
    • Taking into account that the video card is a Radeo HD7850, what power supply should I get (preferably from Amazon.ca too but i'm open otherwise)?
    • It doesn't look like the mobo has onboard wireless capability, but a second opinion would help.
    Thanks all, and happy new year!

Cheers,

Jay

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

3. Canadianjameson

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Poor PSU options there, many good parts are out of stock.

That is somewhat good: 47961 650W ATX COOLER MASTER G650M SEMI-MODULAR 80+ BRONZE $99

5. Canadianjameson

Thanks so much! I have added the ram and the psu to my shopping cart. If I can, may I trouble you for a little more advice?

So what i'm doing is upgrading my computer with the new mobo and card, and setting up a computer for my son (my current one). Right now I have the following setup:
    mobo: http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/P35_Neo2FR__FIR.html#hero-overview
    CPU: Intel CORE2 QUAD CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
    Ram: 4x 1gig PC-2 6400
    graphic card: AMD RADEON 6870 HD

What I want your advice on is whether I should actually consider maxing out the memory from 4 x 1gig to 4x 2gig of DDR2 1066. My son is 11, and hasn't really started gaming. Money is a concern, and I'm just thinking that whatever gaming he really gets into will probably by beyond the capabilities of the graphics card / motherboard anyways (I built the current system in 2007...). I've been using the system with 4 gigs for years and it runs smoothly. I'm leaning towards not upgrading the ram but i wanted a second opinion.

Thanks,

Jay

6. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

CPU and graphis card are OK for "medium gaming". Unless your son is using memory intensive software and/or games, I see no reason to upgrade RAM. 4GB is enough for many uses.

7. Canadianjameson

Great - thanks so much! Plus, the memory upgrade can be a negotiable present =)

Thanks, once again, for everything. I do have one last question, but it's not for this forum so if you don't know I can post it elsewhere.

Currently, i have 3 screens set up on my current computer with the radeon 6870HD. The only thing I will have to change in order to keep the current setup is to get an HDMI to DisplayPort cable, because the new video card (HD7850) has 1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI, and 1 x DisplayPort. Can you just tell me if this cable l00ks like it'll do the trick?? I will be connecting to the HDMI port on the monitor (Acer 274HL) and the DisplayPort on the card.

Thanks - that was the last question, i promise =)

8. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Cable looks to be right type. However I think you will need active Displayport to HDMI adapter to get triple monitor system working. So while that cable is right type, it's not guaranteed it will work. Not sure about this one though. Perhaps graphic card manual tells. What exactly is that 7850 card manufacturer and model?

9. Canadianjameson

This is the site for the card - unfortunately, because my friend just gave me the stuff disconnected I can't tell if it's this card or this one.... but knowing him it was the 2gig one. Would it matter?

Does this help? If I am buying an adapter do you recommend that I go DVI to Active DisplayPort or HDMI to Active DisplayPort?

Does it really matter in terms of speed / image quality? I just ask because I have the DVI cables already but i would have to buy a new HDMI cable too =\

Thanks,

Jay

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  10. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Both cards have similar connectors.

Both adapters look like OK. List your displays to decide which one is better choice.

Speed and/or image quality will probably suffer at least some way. So I suggest that "worst" display (meaning: display that is mostly used for static use, like TV) is connected via adapter and gaming displays are connected straight to the card.

11. Canadianjameson

That makes a lot of sense. I actually might go about it in a different way as I have the following displays:
    2X Acer 274HL
    1x LG 2442

The LG is an older monitor, so i'm thinking that it's the one that should get the adapter given that it is already the slowest. Does my logic hold?

12. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Yes. It seems that best way is:

Acer 1: HDMI
    Acer 2: VGA
    LG: Displayport to HDMI adapter

13. Canadianjameson

hmmm, the thing is that the screens have the following connectors:
    Acer 1: HDMI, DVI
    Acer 2: HDMI, DVI
    LG: VGA, DVI

so I don't think your setup works. Would it not be the following?
    Acer 1: HDMI
    Acer 2: DVI
    LG: DVI --> Active Displayport (adapter)

14. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Google's first result was wrong then, it said HDMI + VGA.

Your suggestion looks good.