Blue Screen Of Death

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by TMM M45T3R, Feb 8, 2008.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Apparently there is something really wrong with the drivers in Windows. I would suggest to reïnstall Windows (first format the partition where Windows is installed).

2. manic49er

manic49er Geek Trainee

Hi,
    I have a PC with -
    Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard (with Via chipset)
    Athlon 4000+ processor
    XFX Geforce 6800GT
    1Gb Ram

The problem I'm having is
    1 - random characters filling Bios screen at boot
    2 - vertical sparkle bars on various bootloading screens
    3 - tiled tiny graduating 16 square pattern in lightt yellow or grey on Win XP Media Center
    4 - Always says found new hardware when enters XP (the video card) but if try to install drivers for (as says has none in Dev Manager), partway thru get a BSOD (page fault I believe) and reboots whole system back to Bios screen

I've tried reseating card in AGP slot numerous times (it's fan is OK)
    I've reseated it's addon Molex pwr connector (and replaced cable w/spare)
    to no avail.
    I tried Googling cardtype and found tons of problems with artifacting (most in games due to heating but some on boot.
    Sounds like "may" have been an incompatability problem between 6800GT and ASUS MB and/or Via chipset and/or 4Mb paging, ....
    Looks like was a big prob back in 2004 (I won it back then but couldn't get it to run nor upgrade vid due to deaths in family, my heart attack, ....) but I never saw a definitive fix, I tried several Bios changes in those forums but none helped :+(
    A friend loaned me a GeForce2 MX200 (quite a step back) and it loads drivers and grfx displays fine. So MB and socket are OK.
    Does anyone know if a final fix was found? As posts just fade away at ~2005 (assume board was being obsoleted?).
    I need to know as my other PC that I've been using for 6 years just had a boot drive crash ;+( So if I'm gonna have to go thru making 1000's of new shortcuts for my progs, ... maybe I should try to get newer (but NG) system going (Oh, old system has a GeForce FX5200 personal Cinema monstrosity card ;+) but didn't want to tear up old system, hoped to give it to grand-daughter

Regards,
    manic49er

3. manic49er

manic49er Geek Trainee

Ooops, sorry, I posted in wrong area, wanted a new thread ;+0
    Newbie alert to forums ;+)
    I'll try to repost in Main Vid area

manic49er

4. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Well, with your problem I would update the bios, then VIA chipset drivers, then I'd uninstall all of your display drivers, run a registry cleaner, then install updated 6800GT drivers. The only thing that sounds really bad is the pixels on the BIOS screen.

5. TMM M45T3R

TMM M45T3R Geek Trainee

To RHochstenbach: thanks for all your help I tried driver cleaners but it still gave me blue screen also, but even though it said dxgkrnl.sys on the blue screen, I did try underclocking my CPU as I had an Athlon 64 3000 at 2.4ghz with a stock fan where the stock speed is 1.8ghz so i thought it may have been a little too high, I set it to 2.0ghz and haven't had the blue screen since I last posted, it seems a bit wierd as it has nothing to do with directx, maybe it isn't the solution as the blue screen did happen randomly, but I'm happy for now lol I have tried updating all drivers, unplugging all usb devices and none of those worked, so MAYBE this is it, but what confuses me is it was displaying a driver message on the blue screen which has nothing to do with CPU, and also I didn't get any blue screens on any other CPU intensive programs- I am pretty sure I haven't changed anything else other than the CPU speed, unless the driver cleaner has worked and it just took a few restarts to get rid of the blue screen? Clearly I am no pro and I appreciate all the help, but I wish there was a definate reason if possible as I'm now worried about changing any settings whatsoever in case it starts happening again- I want to be able to overclock my GPU etc but I'm scared to touch anything now its working it seems very unpredictable, does Vista have any logs that I can show anybody? I tried the error reporting thing in control panel and it just said "there was a problem with a device driver that caused a blue screen" nothing else... I just want a stable system, sorry again if I'm being unclear or if it seems like I'm repeating myself, I have just tried all the driver side of things and had no luck until I changed the CPU clock speed, which doesn't "appear" to be the problem but has somehow solved it (for quite a while now, never had BSOD since)

6. R33KO

R33KO Geek Trainee

Are you sure your Video card drivers support the X64 OS?

7. TMM M45T3R

TMM M45T3R Geek Trainee

Hi yes definately on the Nvidia website the drivers I downloaded are under Vista Ultimate x64, I had a BSOD a couple of days ago it didn't display a driver message but it was just as I was using Windows, so I don't think it's just the game that's causing it, the message just says STOP: with lots of numbers and has happened in Battlefield 2 as well, with no driver message, I was thinking (even thought I'm not an expert) could it maybe my RAM, as it is cheap RAM in 2 different pairs, or my power supply as it is less than 400 watts, I am planning to replace the power supply anyway as the 8600GT needs at least 400W apparently