Books - The Shadow of the Wind

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sabashuali, Jul 25, 2009.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I try to read as much as possible but it is not that easy these days.
    Children, school, work, dogs, house.... you name it!

But despite all that, I managed to nearly finish a brilliant book which I think is a must for anyone who loves reading, especially thriller-suspense books.
    The book was written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. A Spanish writer living in the USA.

Without giving too much away:

One morning in 1945 Barcelona, a torn, ghoulish city still licking its civil war wounds, a father introduces his young son to the secret and mysterious graveyard of forgotten books. A place where thousands of books have been left discarded with no one ever opening them and read them. Daniel Sempre, the boy, wonders around and picks up a dusty novel - "The Shadow of the Wind". The boy is captivated by the book and decides to read all the novels written by the author Julian Karaj.

One night, when Daniel is walking the streets of Barcelona he is approached by a person which reminds him of a character from his favourite author's novels. The character turns out to be the devil himself and has made it his life long commitment to seek out and destroy all of Karaj's published books. He demands to acquire the last remaining book which happens to be in Daniel's hands.

Thus begins a story which opens a window into one of Barcelona's best kept secrets. A secret which involves murder, witchcraft, madness and a tragic, cursed love.

I would give this one 8 or even 9 out of 10! Well worth it!

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Thanks for the recommendation, Saba. :) I always value your input on such things, as I find our tastes are often fairly parallel.

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I really miss reading.... I normally take on my mum's recommendations. For some reason she insists on sending me books although I hardly have time to read them.
    I tend to read in Hebrew which means I have to place my faith in the interpreter... normally it works pretty well... and I would not know the difference any how... :chk:

My favourite author is Meir Shalev. His novels are quintessential Israeli but his writing is just brilliant in any standard. Very witty, sensitive, funny and sometimes terribly sad and melancholic... I would recommend his work to anyone but I am afraid the experience will blemish unless you lived in Israel between the turn of the 20th century and 70's. My next project is Moby Dick which my mom insisted on buying for me when I visited recently. I was planning to read the original version but it seems I will have to start with the translation... :(

I wish I could read more....

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Ahh, good old Melville; get ready for some hyperbole. He spends the first chapter of Moby Dick trying to convince you that the ocean is the most awesome thing ever without actually describing it or outlining its positive traits. I found it too drawn out in places, which is probably why Melville's contemporaries hated his work. :p Still, it's a hell of a lot better than The Great Gatsby.

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

LOL... I would have to read TGG first to be able to compare.... :chk: It must be my age but I am starting to go back to the classics to try and compensate for my misspent youth... so much literature and movies which I had so much time to read and see. Now I am starting to realise what I missed and what an idiot I was to over look all those things... I can see me reading Treasure Island on my death bed... hehe :doh: