BSD Backup

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Fred, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Fred

Fred Moderator

For my Unix administration class, one of the assignments for the midterm is to backup our hdd to another hdd using the command "dump" I dont know how many of you are familiar with this program or BSD, but I cannot seem to get the dang thing to dump to the slave Hdd. Right now, I am using the command
    Code:
    dump -0ua -f /dev/ad1 /dev/ad0 
    /dev/ad1 is the slave hdd and /dev/ad0 is my main hdd (with BSD already installed). Any suggestions are appreciated.

*EDIT* The error I am getting is
    Code:
     DUMP: Cannot find file system superblock 
    Also, I have just noticed that the slave drive is not in /etc/fstab but it does show when i use dmesg and it is listed under /dev (if that makes any difference to someone)

2. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Dump will not work on the entire drive, you must dump partitions. Just look at your fstab file and dump each separate entry.
    Code:
    dump -0ua -f /dev/ad1 /dev/ad0 
    Would become
    Code:
    # dump -0u /dev/ad1 /
    # dump -0u /dev/ad1 /usr
    and so on...
    option -a is only for tape drives not for HDDs and option -f will not have the desired effect, I think.

See the freeBSD man page here

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will try it in a few hours when I get back from school.

4. Fred

Fred Moderator

When I tried
    Code:
    dump -0u /dev/ad1 /
    I get an error "Unknown arguments to dump: /" So I changed it to
    Code:
    dump -0u -f /dev/ad1 /
    And it seemed to work but first it told me that I should use "-L" because it is a live filesystem. Then, every few seconds it would say "Volume 8 begins with blocks from inode 4855519" The volume number increases each time and the same with the number after inode. And before starting each volume, it would ask if the device is ready... I would have to type yes or no. Long story short, that was getting old really quick so I cancelled and used this command:
    Code:
    dump -0uaL -f /dev/ad1 /
    Anyway, this seems to have worked.. and now im going to change the / to /var then to /home. Thanks a lot for the help, it definetly pointed me in the right direction.

5. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Dump will not work properly with mounted file systems unless you force it with -L

That would be the only way to dump the root partition anyway. What BSD are you working with?

6. Fred

Fred Moderator

[ot]I am using FreeBSD 6. Seems pretty decent. I had never used it before this class but Im fairly impressed. If nothing else, I'm glad to be using a different Unix for the experience. Whether I'll use it or not after college is going to depend on the company I'll work for.[/ot]