Bsod 0x7a and 0x7b

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by johndoe666, Dec 29, 2013.

1. johndoe666

johndoe666 Geek Trainee

Hi, my name is Jonas and as the title indicates, im having trouble with my computer.

Im semi-expierenced with computers and so far until this day there hasnt been a problem i didnt fix.

After setting up a fresh install of windows in August because of major hardware changes, i felt like adding a new hardrive wouldnt hurt as i usually run out of space fast. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago. First it was subtle, my computer bluescreened sometimes and because i let it run for ages i thought it needs new thermal paste and maybe a new fan because it got quite hot. Another point that supported that claim was that it only happened for very demanding games and applications like Battlefield 4 and Warthunder. So i went ahead, ordered thermal paste and a new fan (the items will arrive tomorrow) and felt prepared and didnt pay much more attention to the problem.

Now a few days ago my computer bluescreened again but this time it was different. the computer kept freezing every 20-30 seconds and when it froze completely, the HDD led was blinking about twice a second in perfect intervalls. the sound still came through, but the computer didnt respond to any input. Then it bluescreened and when i restarted it, it told me that there is no boot device. I cut of the power, made sure that all S-ATA connectors were in place and turned the power supply on again and started the computer, and it booted up. Startup repair happened but didnt come up with a solution. Starting windows rather than the startup repair results in a BSOD while it is showing "starting windows" and the windows symbol.

After disabling restart on system crash i was able to see the crash dump which showed me the hardware error 0x7a. normally when it crashes while playing its 0x7b. i didnt take no as an answer and checked the boot order. booting manually through the boot setup and through my standard system drive works fine, automatic booting results in the computer deciding that my old harddrive looks rather delicious. I am able to start the computer and play less demanding games, but i am quite confused as this seems to be a HDD issue as indicated by the 0x7a and 0x7b error code.

I would greatly appreciate any help and ideas.

I forgot to mention that i ran both the seagate and the western digital diagnostics tools for all 3 of my sata hard drives, which all came back clean, passed and without bad sectors and that I ran chkdsk for all disks, including the boot disk. It deleted quite a few bad index entries. Dxdiag available if needed.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First thing is to tell us about your computer... Next how many hard drive's are you using/have ???

3. johndoe666

johndoe666 Geek Trainee

i uploaded my dxdiag.txt in a nutshell: im using this setup
    Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    8Gb Ram
    Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.
    Nvidia GTX 560.

Currently I am using 3 S-ATA harddrives

Attached Files:

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Why so many hard drives ? Your error Message is from one of the hard drives, Which cannot be found Or is Bad.. My Guess is at startup, the Machine does not know which hard drive to Boot.. Has for your heating problem, It sounds like a Bad CPU heat-sink and fan... I would look at Arctic cooling freezer 7 or 13...

5. johndoe666

johndoe666 Geek Trainee

i got the Thermaltake NIC C5 Untouchable Dual arriving in the mail tomorrow with AC mx4 thermal paste. the main problem is that im not entirely sure if the computer overheats. while showing characteristics of overheating the following bsod indicates a hard drive issue, thats why im kind of confused and dont know what to do.

Edit: i should probably also mention that the computer ran fine for about a year with exactly the same heat sink and fan

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

That cooler is just like the Arctic one I have, That should work.. AGAIN Why so many Hard drives ? If All those hard drives are plugin and drawing juice, Then that could be a heat problem ... What Case are you using ? and how many Fans do you have ?

Sniper likes this.
  7. johndoe666

johndoe666 Geek Trainee

sorry for the late reply. im currently using a cooler master case. i dont exactly know what model, but the airflow should be similar to the rc 335. im using 2 300 mm fans, one out one in. i probably should take out a hard drive and install more fans. i dont even know why its only using 2 300 mm fans. never really paid attention the the case fans. As embarrassing as it may sound, this actually might be a heat issue. ill see what i can do with the fans i got here and with taking out the hard drives and ill update this once im done.

8. johndoe666

johndoe666 Geek Trainee

sorry for the doublepost. i took out the 2 hard drives and i was able to play a game without freezing, stuttering or bluescreening. thank you very much kind sir.

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

@ghostman I guess a better power supply would let him run all drives without issues?

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yea! He will need at least 750 watts or more, Probable 1000 watt would work the best..

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I would imagine the power supply as well. I don't know if you need to look at much past a 700-750W unit of a quality build. I don't think hard drives draw that much, something like 5-15W...if that.
    Unless you're looking to move into something greater than 2-way SLI or Crossfire and an OC'd LGA2011 CPU, it will be overkill to look much past 750W.