BSOD computer keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by rossstang, Aug 2, 2011.

1. rossstang

rossstang Geek Trainee

I have had problems with my toshiba laptop satellite A205-s4617 most of the time the screen will freeze up and have 2'' X1/4'' horizontal lines all over the screen and other time it is just a small square of different color about 4''X4''. Some times it just restarts all by it's self with no warning and other times I get the BSOD. I have NO HEAT problems I run a continuous 40- 50 degree Celsius never higher. I cleaned the chips under the heat sink with alcohol and re applied thermal compound. I have worked with microsoft stage two technition for numerous hours and with no luck! I originally had windows vista and when the tech was helping me he gave me windows 7 operating system to see if it was a software problem and still no luck. the problem can occur the instant I turn the computer on it will freeze, or for the most part i am able to type my password in to log on and it will happen within less than 1 min. and it usually does that about 4-5 times I have to hold the power button to get it to shut down and then restart it and most days I am good to go for atleast an hour or two before it happens again and other times I can cruse the net for several hours. I never play games on my laptop. I did a clean instilation of windows 7 and reformatted the hard drive, and before windows did all of the updates it froze and after the updates it froze still. I have ran windows memory diagnostics and it has came up clean every time, I have let both cards stay in while test and i have ran the test with only one ram at a time and test still comes up clean. i am now running windows 7 32 Bit Home premium service pack 1 Intel core 2 cpu t5500 1.66GHz 3 GB of ram. the BSOD report is as followed :

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE ERROR

If this is the first time you have seen this error screen restart your computer. if this screen appears again follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you mite need.

if problem continues disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer. press F8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

TECHNICAL INFO:

*** STOP: 0X0000007A (0XC021E3F8, 0XC000000E, OX31EF3860, 0X878FED99)

*** NTFS.SYS address 878fed99base at 87820000 Date stamp 4d799527

Collecting data for crash dump. . .

Initializing disk for crash dump. . .

If anyone could help I would highly appreciate it! Thanks

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What happens in safe mode ? does it run right or does it do the same thing ? And what happen if you just go into your Bio's ?

3. rossstang

rossstang Geek Trainee

I am not exactly sure what you mean by going into bios, I have pressed f8 or whatever it is to get into where you can change the time make the computer start from usb or dvd player etc. but not sure if that is what you are asking, but i did run it on safe mode and really wasnt able to do much but i let it run for 90 minuets and it had no problems at all! Also after that I tried starting in safe mode and networking and it let me use the internet and messed with it like that for over an hour and had no problems at all! It is weird cause just starting the computer normally it hangs up freezes and restarts over and over and over! lol what could that mean if it runs without any problems in safe mode? By the way THANK YOU for replying. this thing is driving me crazy!!!

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

FIRST , SCAN for a Virus... You say it doesn't do this in safe mode ? It is either a Virus or a hardware problem..

5. rossstang

rossstang Geek Trainee

I have AVG 2011 for virus protection, and have used others like microsoft security essentials and nothing ever comes up with a virus. . what kind of hardware could be giving me this problem?

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

It could be a number of things,it also could be a stuck driver.. It is all going to come down too, trial and error..If it doesn't do this in safe mode,then it could be a bad driver..

7. rossstang

rossstang Geek Trainee

I originally had vista on the laptop from the factory and after i had all of these problems microsoft gave me windows 7 to see if that would fix the problem and obviously it didn't but since then I had re installed vista and the same problem was still going on so I switched back to windows 7 and in all of that re installing wouldnt a stuck driver or an improper driver have been replaced or fixed? I also have went to intel and installed new drivers for my video card and it actually said it was up to date but I tried it anyway. is it possible to have a virus in BIOS? and anti-virus not pick it up? 0r does BIOS ever need to be updated?
    You said it will all come down to trial and error what else can I try? I have ran the Seagate HD test twice for like 4.5 hours each time and it said it passed with no bad sectors, I have ran several memory test and they all say the ram is okay, even tried running the ram one chip at a time and still says it is okay. . Any advice would be great! Thanks

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Has this laptop ever been dropped ? I would try another hard drive to narrow that out.., you could also try installing windows Xp, to cross out an OS problem..

9. rossstang

rossstang Geek Trainee

from what i see my computer came with windows vista and it looks like I cannot downgrade to windows xp? I put the disk in and the button i should push to install is not available but all the other options are? any suggestions? or know how to get around this?

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You can install ANY OS on your computer, But you might not have all the drivers working.. But that's ok, You can always get them latter...
    The XP disk should boot on its own..

11. rossstang

rossstang Geek Trainee

The XP disk doesn't boot on its own. . I even went out and bought another hard drive cause i figured at some point i would be trying it to see if it's my problem but when i put the cd in on the new hard drive it is just a black screen and among other things it ends up saing operating system not found.
    I was reading on another forum and it was saying that the same drivers ment for vista wouldnt operate XP that some things had to be changed and honestly it was the most diffacult thread to follow, but checking to see if you know anything about xp not being able to read sata drives or something about disabling SATA Native in BIOS to be able to install XP?

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Is your hard drive a SATA ???? If it is then you will need a XP disk with sata driver built on it.. Next if the XP disk doesn't auto boot, then you will need another one..
    Also make sure you are doing a fresh install each time.. Your disk must be formatted...Have you tried windows 7 with the new hard drive ?

13. rossstang

rossstang Geek Trainee

Yes it is a SATA and I did obtain a disk that had the drivers for it and the instillation is still un sucessful! After I tried the XP disk many many times I tried the windows 7 disk and after about 20 tries of the black screen that comes up and kept saying that no operating system was found it finally accepted it and started to install it and after about 2 minuets the computer froze up again and I cannot get it to try to install again??? This thing is driving me crazy! lol thanks

14. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

It sounds like your hard drive needs to be checked for errors, it also sounds like the boot partition might be messed up..I think the easiest way would be to try another hard drive...Then if that does not work, the get another laptop, because it sounds like this one has been dropped....if this is the case, your problem is in the Motherboard and it is not worth fixing....

15. rossstang

rossstang Geek Trainee

I was thinking it was possible that I got a bad HD so I will take it back and exchange it and try it again. but I am the only person that has access to my laptop and I have never dropped it or anything close to it. but if the motherboard is messed up why wouldnt it be worth fixing? I have found the exact same motherboard for my laptop on one site for 150 and another for like 220 and rhey both say New not refirbished ??

16. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

The reason I said that was because, It would be cheaper to buy another one than have it fixed... After buying a new motherboard and what ever else, PLUS labor the cost would be more than a new laptop.. IF you plan on doing it your self, then that is another story, BUT if you NEVER worked on a laptop before, Then FORGET it..

17. rossstang

rossstang Geek Trainee

If I buy an external hard drive can I make my laptop boot from that without another internal harddrive in the computer? only asking cause I can get a pretty nice external HD cheaper than a internal HD of its size? By the way thanks for being patient with me !
    Ihave had my motherboard out of the laptop several times just trying to inspect it and see if their is anthing visually wrong but I have taken out the video card and applied thermal paste where it's needed but I have never sautered on one before. is their more to it thn just taking it out like i have done before and reinstall all the connectors?

18. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Most external hard drivers won't boot an OS, I have tried it and I never got to work... Well , if you have had that thing apart before, then you could try changing the motherboard... It worth a try...