Building first machine...

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by steel_phantom, Jul 3, 2005.

1. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well just make sure that an upgrade to the premium is worth it. I'm not saying its not, I don't know, but don't buy it because it has something you'll never use.

2. steel_phantom

steel_phantom Geek Trainee

I hate fan noise more than the average person. Getting a fanless motherboard is worth the extra $30 for me. I'll probably be replacing all the fans in the case with the quietest fans possible in the future.

The fan noise in my TIVO bothered me so much that I put the machine in the next room and used a remote extender along with long wires to get rid out the problem.

One step closer to pure silent makes it worth it to me.

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

wow then IDK if you'll like it, you can probably replace it with a special heatsink or quiet chipset fan, they sell those seperate and chipsets don't heat up THAT much.

and max, hes not buying something he will use, hes gonna use it, but why not just take the free stuff with the performance thats already worth the money haha

they even have an external serial ata drivex2 ports that take a PCI slot and you can plug a SATA drive right into the PCI input, its crazy, but free

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Alright, whatever floats your boat.

5. steel_phantom

Actually, I would probably be fine with the fan noise, but its worth the money to me to make it as quiet as possible. I have heard that the fan "slot" is not a standard size so there aren't many fans or heatsinks that fit. There is a heatsink that I know many people are using, but its pretty large and clutters up the space.

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I'm not bothered by noise in the least so I go for absolute maximum speed/CFM fans and OC like ****.

7. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

8. steel_phantom

Thanks for all the help guys!

I went a little more overboard than I planned for, but I have one quality machine shipping today.

Thanks again!

9. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

it always ends up happening like that my friend haha

i was supposed to pay 1800 ended up paying around 2100 haha well the additions were really from parental pity, so my account didn't suffer haha

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Nice steel_phantom:good:, you lucky dog zRock, wish my parents were as understanding as that.

11. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

My parents bought me my whole rig, but then again my brother has been getting free golf clubs from them for a while so now <evil tone>it's payback time</evil tone>.

12. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

yeah but this is big pity i had a 1 ghz p3 with 128mb of RAM and integrated graphics
    with ubuntu linux (thats good ^ - ^)

I nearly cryed when I turned my baby on haha

13. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Hahahahaha. Yes, pity can work wonders. There was a little of that in my case but thats another story.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Man you don't know how good you have it dudes, I had to beg my parents just for them to allow ME to buy my own computer, and then there was some ridicule from my grandfather but I'm still happy I went through with it:)

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

ex, I've been waiting 6 months for the upgrade before the parents allowed it

SIX MONTHS of NOs

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That's about what I went through, the only difference is your parents don't seem to mind you upgrading, mine do:(

17. Addis

Addis The King

I can remember when i built my first one a year and half ago. At first it didnt work and it was 12 midnight, just got parts that day. properly seated the heatsink and it started up. Its noisy, masculine and full of insolence but i like it.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I remember a couple days after I finally remembered to plug in the video cards molex connector (thought of it in the shower as you know) my cpu cooler fell off, that was an exciting time right there. Didn't seat it very well obviously, though it was a real tribute to how cool the Winchester line can run if it was okay after loosing it's cooler.

19. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

mine was real lucky, everything worked right out of the box, i had no problems (whew)

its just that second of silence that can make you happy, or very very pissed off haha

20. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea well I had a ****ed BIOS chip in mine so I had to wait 4 weeks to get the mobo RMAed. Course that is the one I just built. I think my first one all worked out ok.