Buyers beware SB Audigy2, SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by RA, Mar 4, 2005.

1. RA

RA Geek Trainee

In my new computer, I upgraded from the original sound card to SB Audigy2. It wasn’t compatible with Norton AntiVirus. You couldn’t install Creative Media Center and run Norton AntiVirus. So why pay money for something you can’t use!

I upgraded again to SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum. The front MIC In 2 jack didn’t work so I took it back the second time, 2/7/05. I don’t know, this date 3/4/05, whether it’s been returned to Creative Labs or not! 1 year warranty must mean the @#$%! has a year to fix it! And what can you do about it!?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

did you uninstall NAV to see it worked without it for sure?

I would think it would take less than 30 days to get a replacement, have you checked their site to see how they process the replacement.

3. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Hi Sniper! Glad to hear from you. Yes, I did uninstall NAV, and SB Audigy2 and its Creative Media Center both worked. Symantec (NAV) recommended not to install Creative Media Center, as they weren’t compatible.

Re: Replacement for SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum. It’s the guy that sold me the computer’s responsibility to get an RMA number to return the part for a replacement.

As of last Monday, he said he was going to call Creative Labs for an RMA number, but first he had to prove to them, that the sound card was faulty. He’s been “stalling”, hoping I’d give up, and take the computer as is! No dice! With a 1 year Warranty, why should I! I will find out this Monday what’s up!

Thanks for asking!

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Technically you do not need Creative Media Center in order to use your Creative card. Actually I personally feel it's pretty worthless software. On the other hand, my opinions of NAV aren't too high either. I think AVG is superior, it doesn't have compatibility problems with Creative, and it's free for home users.

My advice:
    Either dump Creative Media Center or replace NAV with a better antivirus. Or both ;)

5. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Hello Anti-Trend! Yes, I agree about Creative Media Center. There was another problem that I forgot to mention. In the first place, SB Audigy2 was an OEM. It didn’t come in a box.

I asked Bill Chin if it was as an OEM, and he said yes. SB Audigy2 didn’t come with a front panel like my original SB Audigy Platinum. When I tried to plug in my synthesizer and microphone in the rear panel, the holes were too close together and wouldn’t take the two adapters, like in my first SB Audigy Patinum. That was more important than the CMC. That’s why I upgraded to SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum, to get the front panel, and be able to insert the two adapters, side by side.

I also agree that NAV is a pain! This is another of Bill Chin’s recommendations. 1. Use NAV. 2. Don’t use Service Pack 2! As soon as I get my computer back, fixed!, Bill Chin has seen the last of me!

Thanks for the advice.
    /RA/

6. Anti-Trend

Well, to be honest there aren't really any good PC shops in our area of Southern California, are there? That's one of the reasons my employers are thinking about starting up a datacom firm. We wouldn't really have any competition. :)

7. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Re: Competition: Bill Chin has increased the inventory in his store to the point that I ribbed him of running competition with Staples. With all the people moving into this area and big housing tracts, plus individual homes being built all the time, it’s something to consider. They’ve begun to widen Apple Valley Rd. into four lanes.
    Datacom firm. Would that be a computer repair shop for people like me? What about all the businesses around the area?

8. Anti-Trend

We're way off topic now, but datacom as in everything to do with I.T. -- PCs, Servers, Routers, network setup, wiring, security, DVRs, etc. Pretty much everything to do with computer-related technology, and maybe even business phone systems. I don't plan on having a storefront type shop where we have to keep parts in stock. It'd be more like a SOHO all-in-one solution provider. But if we go ahead with it, I'd likely still build home PCs and business-class workstations to help fill the gaps between larger jobs. We'll see how it goes; nothing is in stone yet. But I kept thinking to myself, "Man, there's no datacom in this area at all. I have nobody of any notable skill to refer people to!" Well, what if that void was filled by us? We'll se how it goes, I'll keep you posted.

9. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Thanks for the reply! Yes, please keep me posted!