Cable Modem/Router & Connection Questions

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by SirDeity, Dec 13, 2003.

1. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

I'll be getting cable soon and I'm afraid I know very little about the use of download vs upload. My biggest concern is multiplayer gaming. Which is more important when playing games online, uploads or downloads? Are they both equally important? How do you determine latency? Is there some sort of equation using the upload and download speeds to figure for latency?

The cable I'll be getting is through Adelphia. They have two packages, and, unfortunately, only one of which are available to me. I still don't quite understand why only one is available, but that's a question for later. The regular Power Link package, which is quoted as 3000down/256up. I assume that's 3000 download speed and 256 upload speed. The Premier package, which isn't available (for who knows why), is something like 5000/512.

I want to know if 3000/256 is really fast for gaming. I also want to know why Adelphia can't offer the Premier package at the same time. Do they need to upgrade their hardware in order to provide faster speeds? (The cable just became available, thus, I assume all the infrastructure in my part of Maine is new.)

I may need to network, so I don't have to pay for separate connections. Unfortunately, I don't know how to network and I can't afford to hire someone. Is there a step-by-step site that explains this? Or even better, would one of you be willing to guide me through the process? Would I even save much money by doing it myself? What are the advantages and disadvantages to setting up a network? It's be between 3 different people's computers. I DO NOT want me information or computer accessible to anyone. Will there be vulnerability issues involved?

I may need to buy my own modems and routers. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what to look for when shopping for a router or a modem. Does the quality of the modem determine the connection speed or stability? Does the quality of the router determine the safety? When I compare modems in online stores, what stuff should I pay special attention to? I could really use some education in this area. I'm more familiar with basic hardware, but routers and cable modems have never been something I've ever needed. I've never used a high speed connection. The fastest I've ever used is a measly 28.8k (usually 26.4k) connection speed.

When answering these questions and/or sharing comments/recommendations, please keep in mind that I know nothing about cable connections, and that my top priority is having the best possible multiplayer gaming; lag free gaming.

PS. If this thread fits better in another forum then please move it. Thanks and BTW, HELLO EVERYONE!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

For running it through to multiple PC's, you can pick up a router for pretty cheap (starting at $40). These are generally 4-port models, so as long as you don't have over 4 boxes, you'll be fine. If you happen to be in a position like me with a little army of PC's on the network, you'll want to look into a switch. Depending on ports and other features, you can find these around the $40 and up in most places. You also may want to look at a router with a hardware firewall as unscrupulous people can screw with any PC on your network that's on.

I don't know how your company runs it, but Comcast Cable Internet and Verizon's DSL both give you a modem. Some comcast cable packages include an RCA Cable Modem. Verizon tends to use Westell DSL modems. I'd find out for sure that you are or aren't getting a modem with the service.

As for the availability of certain packages, I can only speculate. They may not have the internet hardware available in your area at the moment, or maybe there's enough traffic on your node that they can't offer speeds anywhere near that.

I've really not done much in online gaming, so I really don't have anything I can think of off the top of my head. It should be plenty, but there are factors, such as the server hosting the map you're playing and their bandwith limits.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Here in Montreal we can either have the standard High Speed or the Ultra High speed connection. And like you, I can only get the standard high speed because I'm on the edge of the capacity of the central. Here, you have to be within 2 km of the central, or a dispatcher (that'S not the word but I can't remember it right now) to get the Ultra High Speed. I think it has something to do with loss of information inside the cables.

There are many ways in which you can make a network. Depending on how you do it, the advantages can be that all the computers have access to the net. However, be aware that the bandwidth will be splitted between the computers.

a simple way would be to take a switch, plug all your computers in it as well as the modem.

But I would avise you in getting a firewall because this is a permanent connection and this is a way too good opportunity for anyone with malicious intentions. In that case, you'll want to modem to plugged in the firewall and the firewall in the switch, as long as the other computers.

Now, the difference between a switch and a hub, and that's why a switch is better, is that you can control how much of the bandwidth is used by each ports.

Of course, the firewall always has to be turned on if you want to computers to have access to the net, but that's the point !

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

about your speed, yes its fast enough to play online, you should not have any problems with your connection at 3000/256 you would get around 360Kb/s download speed and 30Kb/s, which is enough. About the lag, that depends on a alot of things, living in the USA you should use USA servers, as using a UK etc would increase the lag! also it depends on the connection the other players have, if they have a slower connection you would get lag! If you want to avoide lag you will need to find players, who will have a decent (512/256) connection speed!

5. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

No. You didn't read carefully Sniper. My connection will only be 3000/256 tops. The faster connection which is unavailable to me is 5000/512 tops.

Will bandwitch only be splitted when their all doing stuff online? What if the other two computers are shut off? If my computer is the only one online, and I'm gaming, will my connection be the exact same as if there was no network and the connection was only on my PC?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Your bandwith will be split between how many PC's are online. If only one is on, it has the whole thing to itself, so it would be the same if you just went and had the network cable going directly from the PC to the cable modem

7. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

That's good news at least. I'm still torn between networking them all and getting my own cable connection, though. You say if all are networked, I can choose how much of the connection is going to my computer via the router? If so, I'll make it so my PC gets 60%-70%, and the other two split the other 40%-30%.

8. Sniper

SirDeity, I am aware that, the faster connection 5000/256 would not unavailable to you! I was informing you the possible speed you would get and that you should not have any problems!

Like Big B said, it would split the speed between the computers, or you can choose what they get by using a Switch, so your PC can have 70% speed and the other 2 share the other 30%

9. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

No biggie Sniper. Thanks for the help anyway. =) (Regular Power Link = 3000/256, Premier Power Link = 5000/512; there aren't any 5000/256 or 3000/512 quotes.)

I haven't been on these forums in a little while. How is everyone? Sniper, Big B and Harrack, I'll hopefully be getting a new PC soon (1-3 months). It'd be fun to build another dream machine with you guys. The last one was a blast! =)

Oh, I found the sweetest case. Check out the Asetek Vapochill case. You can overclock like mad with this thing. (If you go to www.go-l.com, there's a modified one with a sweet CrystalFontz display running off the PC's serial port.)

10. Sniper

n/p SirDeity, I plan to build one in the new year, we will see whats on offer then! :)