Can I shut this off somehow?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by do50, Dec 31, 2004.

1. do50

do50 Big Geek

I have win XP home edition on a Dell Inspiron 1150
    There are a couple of annoying icons in the system tray... (Hope I'm using the right term here)...that bunch of icons down by the clock.

The first is the "Wireless network not connected" balloon that pops up and has to be manually turned off. Can I disable the balloon somehow? It doesn't go away by itself like most "polite" pop ups do. I KNOW I'm not connected... that's what the little monitor icon with the red X on it means... and that makes a lot of sense because the wireless network connection radio is disabled.

The other thing in the tray that irritates me is the blinking Real Player icon. Things seem to go faster when it's off. (Maybe I'm more patient when it's off?) Can I get it out of the system tray altogether until I ask for it back? Right now I can close it, but only until I start up again.

If this is possible, could you please give me the idiot's version of how to do it? Thank you.

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

you can right click on the taskbar and do properties>>customise.

This lets you choose what icons you want to see in the task bar.

I'd uninstall Real and use something else, it's terrible.

3. do50

do50 Big Geek

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

4. Addis

Addis The King

Try this instead of Realplayer.

5. EVO TicTak

EVO TicTak Geek Trainee

Just adding to what is posted above.
    any items like real player do not have to run in the taskbar. you can stop them from auto loading and they will still work fine. go to start>run>type
    msconfig
    click ok and go to the start up tab then remove the check from anything that does not need to run. office, works, quicktime, real player,.... if you dont use reminders or load tool bars for office you dont need them starting with windows.
    Also you can disable balloon tips either with a reg edit, or tweak ui...you will be able to look through the interface and find the setting quite easy.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

6. do50

do50 Big Geek

Thanks, Evo TicTak, Happy New Year and Welcome!
    I'm on a laptop and shut down often. Waffle's method worked great for Real Player, but I'm still getting balloons telling me the wireless network connection is off. I'll give your first method a try.
    I don't understand "reg edit" and tweak ui". (Maybe need to go to the website?) Thanks for posting it. If the first method doesn't work, I'll check it out.

7. EVO TicTak

EVO TicTak Geek Trainee

I have had problems telling people how to do regedits, so i will not do it myself, i might post a link to the info....if it is really needed.
    Tweak UI can be downloaded from the link above, once you have it and install it look in your all programs menu for power toys, then expand the menu to open tweak ui.
    highlight "taskbar and start menu" then on the right you should see
    "enable balloon tips"....remove the check and apply...enjoy.