Can Laptops (centrino) run games well?

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by harakim, Jan 2, 2006.

1. harakim

harakim Big Geek

This does look good, however I am more interested in Lenovos. It seems like you should be able to upgrade processors on Lenovos also. I do like this site and will keep it in mind. Right now it seems to be on par with Acer (Acer is very good, but doesn't offer this performance at this price) in my book, which is just a hair behind Lenovo. I appreciate the site very much.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Anytime man, Lenovos are good but it's just not like IMB to offer that kind of upgradabiltiy. However if you've got a like explaining otherwise I'd be interested.

3. harakim

harakim Big Geek

Wouldn't you just be able to take out the old processor and put in a new one, like you do in desktops? It seems if the laptop uses a 915 intel chipset, than i could replace it with any other cpu that also uses that chipset. Are laptops different? I've been looking around and all I can find are older thinkpads that have been upgraded. Just seems logical they would, though.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Upgrading the CPU of a laptop is much more difficult than the RAM or HD. Whereas the RAM and HD have special bays which can be removed for upgrading easily, the same can't be said for the CPU. Some laptops might actually have the CPU soldered onto the motherboard (see why we discourage it), some have a socket. Either way, to find out you're gonna have to open up your laptop more than the warranty permits.

Each laptop is different, and we can't offer much support if you open it up and have a problem. You should really have a repair technician do it, if its possible to upgrade.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well said man, yeah and even if you could easily it's not like Pentium M's are going to get a whole lot better, chances are anything that replaces than shortly will be a new socket or simply won't work properly in the existing socket.

6. harakim

harakim Big Geek

Alright, armed with the knowledge from this thread, I found a place around here that says they could swap out the cpu for a new one with a 90-day guarentee. I have also found out that Intel plans to release a 2,5ghz pentium M, which is supposedly equivalent to a 3,7ghz desktop cpu. You can't upgrade the video card, though. So that's what I know now. Thanks for all the help and advice. Now I have to find out which to get first, the laptop or desktop. Decisions, decisions...

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Glad we could help, keep us posted.