Can You Open a Toshiba Power Supply...

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by brush3287, May 3, 2012.

1. brush3287

brush3287 Geek Trainee

without breaking it totally.:)
    Let me explain. A few days ago I accidentally ran over the DC side of the power adaptor for a Toshiba Satellite Pro, with the vacuum cleaner. This shredded part of the cable & it wasn't plugged in at the time. I have since replaced it with a new supply but wondered if I could salvage the old one by cutting out the bit that was shredded & remaking the connection inside the "brick" style housing. But there are no screws. Anyone know if there is a technique for doing this without mangling the plastic case beyond safe & sensible use? TIA.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You could, but I don't know if it's recommended. I would imagine (not having done this myself) that using a knife of some sort might be the best route to go. I'm sure they can be opened, but by design, not easily. I don't know how to crack one open and ensure you don't break it further.

3. Amelie11

Amelie11 Geek Trainee

Can you help me ?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Without having done this myself, I imagine that you might need to get something like a knife or something stiff and thin you could use to pry around the brick. I'm having a hard time finding a tutorial on how to open one. I imagine it's because these things just aren't worth it to most people to try and repair versus simply replacing.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Not worth trying to fix when you can buy a new one starting at $12.00 bucks and up..