Can't find my new SCSI..

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by HerrHansen, Aug 29, 2003.

1. HerrHansen

HerrHansen Guest

I have a new Maxtor 35GB SCSI hard drive I want to install into an old computer that had three old scsi's.

I disconnected all old scsi's except for one, because there was som data I wanted to save. Then I stated the Win2k installer and it found two hard drives. One was totally empty without filesystem and everything, the other one was c:...

I chose to install win2k on the empty one (my new scsi) and then noticed it would become e:... I didn't want this so I aborted the install and turned off the computer, disconnected the last old drive and then tried to start it up again.

The problem is that the new hard drive is not to be found anymore.. All of the old ones are no problem, but the SCSI-bios (adaptec AIC7890) can't find the new drive.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Check your cable config.

As I understand, you have two scsi hdds and one cd drive.

I suggest putting the hdd that has no data as primary master, the other one as primary slave and your cd drive as secondary master.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Go ahead with the install. You can always change the drive letter to the way you want through the administrative tools-->Disk Management. Win2k does this sometimes, and I don't have any explanation as to why. Just make sure to do that immediately after you finish the install as to avoid any issues with programs you may install, especially if you change the CD-ROM drive letter in the process.