cant install OS on new HDD

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by pixofile, Jun 27, 2006.

1. pixofile

pixofile Geek Trainee

hey i got a fujitsu siemens AMILO pro v7010 laptop and the 40GB HDD went so i had to buy a new HDD i got a 80GB maded by the same company and my computer isnt letting me install any version of windows.
    98 will install but i keep gettin this problem where it will start up and i keep getting this error bcoz it dont like some part of my laptop.
    and with xp i get as far as please enter either F3, enter and what ever the 3rd option is and as my keyboard isnt working when i get there it wont go any further.
    anybody have you got any ideas?

2. Addis

Addis The King

Can you describe the problem exactly please. What error messages do you get?

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Do you have a recovery CD with your laptop? You may try using that.

Another thing you *might* be running into is just the setup being sluggish. You might leave it alone for an hour or so and just see if it's gotten any progression.

5. pixofile

pixofile Geek Trainee

yeah i have got the recovery disk havent tried it yet and ill try the leave it alone for an hour

6. pixofile

pixofile Geek Trainee

if it is the kboard is there anythink i can do with out windows and yeah the recovery disk worked til i got the same problems again with the kboard and now im leavin it for a while

7. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

I'm no pro but I doubt leaving it for an hour will accomplish anything, especially on a (is it 16-bit) dos-like application (please correct me if im wrong).

Try a USB keyboard, on my laptop my keyboard completely messed up so i bought a USB keyboard, it worked completely fine even in POST /DOS. Jst make sure to enable USB IN BOOT or something in the bios to enable it.

Is it ONLY on this page where it crashes?

8. zeus

zeus out of date

Do computers pass POST when there is a failing keyboard?
    One quick way to test it would be to boot from a win 9x floppy and see if you can type at dos.

On re-reading you post, do you mean the keyboard doesnt work when your at that first xp install screen, or it doesnt work at all?
    If it doesnt work only when your at the xp install screen try booting from xp floppies. It could be the xp cd rom not working correctly.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

a computer will pass POST with a failing or even disconnected keyboard, but you have to go into the BIOS and disable errors on keyboard

i believe is called "USB Legacy Support"

10. zeus

zeus out of date

Ahhh, fair doos, that should have sprung to mind. I had to do this the other day because I installed a cpu fan without a rotation line. The option was in the same "drop-down"

11. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Surely the keyboard is working coz:

1. you have to confirm you want to install windows from cd (saying it is a cd)
    2. pixofile had to pass the F8 terms and conditions and all previous pages to get to where he is when it crashes /errors

So I doubt its a keybord fault if it does this on the same page, imo it's gotta be a software or driver fault, driver fault only if there is a driver change JUST BEFORE THE PAGE WHERE IT SEEMS TO HANG

12. zeus

zeus out of date

And he has to type in the code to install windows 98