catalyst driver problem

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by jonmcp87, May 23, 2009.

1. jonmcp87

jonmcp87 Geek Trainee

hello again

Preamble:
    i am having a similar problem to the one discussed in this thread:
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/so-tired-failing-drivers-ati-3650-512-pci-e-2-0-vista-colide-25094/
    but i do not have the luxury of being able to go for an nvidia card; even if i did this card is too new to just chuck.

Problem:
    -any time i start a game, it doesn't take long before my ATi driver decides to crash and force me to quit the game. (atikmdag.sys)
    -Also, when my pc is downloading a large file, or streaming a video, my DPCs get really high and max out my processor
    [i have already ascertained that this is also a problem with my ATi driver]

Solution:
    my current Ati driver is out of date - version 8.612.0 - so i figured that an update to the current version (9.5?) would solve the problem.

Problems Arising from Solution:
    i downloaded the current driver from ati.amd.com, but after installing and rebooting, it had not updated the drivers.
    so i uninstalled all my ati software - ccc, cim, drivers, reg entries, the lot; and rebooted before reinstalling the current drivers and rebooting again.
    this time, it was still showing as driver version 8.6! :mad:
    so i tried updating the driver available from MS update (last resort), and upon reboot, the driver version was 8.5 :eek:
    i rolled back the driver in device manager to 8.6 and tried reinstalling the official ati ones again, to no avail.

Questions:
    is there anything i've done incorrectly, or am i missing any steps out?
    what can i do to resolve this issue?

-----

i would be massively thankful for any advice here.

------

system specs:
    -CoolerMaster Real Power 520W PSU
    -MSI 790GX-G65
    -AMD Phenom II 710
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512MB
    -Corsair XMS3 1333MHz DDR3 6GB (3x2GB)
    -WD Caviar Blue Edition 500GB
    -generic SATA DVD-RW

Running Vista x64 SP1 build 6001

2. jonmcp87

jonmcp87 Geek Trainee

New symptom guys (well, a variation thereof), i now can't even [ctrl]+[alt]+[del] out of the game when the display driver crashes - i now have to forcibly turn off the pc.

3. jonmcp87

jonmcp87 Geek Trainee

solved - ccc problem. uninstalled it and things went back to normal