CD-ROM Boot: Problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chris_, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Im having trouble with one of my pc's (old-old-commodore-from-grandma) trying to set it to boot from CDROM drive to install & tryout IPCop on it. But, I do not see the option to change the boot sequence in BIOS. On this PC it's under "Advanced Options" but not on the commodore. The motherboard is a 'FIC PA-2005'. Here is the link I found through google for specifications.

If I could post a few pictures, I would but dont really have time now and my Digi cam's battery's will most certainly die as soon as I've taken one pic (It eats battery's away in under an hour). I will try and take some tomorrow!

If anyone knows any things about this bios and knows there way around it, please shoot some advice!

Argh, Computers :p

- Chris

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Check the start up screens, On some computers there is a "Hit F<number> for boot menu"

A workaroudn this problem might be putting GRUB on a floppy disc (assuming the computer will attempt to boot from the floppy first), i guess it would fit as it cant be that big, allthough i have no idear how to do this!

you can check the above by putting a floppy in the drive! (and seeing if the light blinking starts before it check the hdd)

Thats all i can think of :/ (im guessing you have looked under every menu in the bios :p)

^LOL

3. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Hi,

I think i've sussed the boot issue, but then another error appears. I eventually found that I didn't use the down arrow key once more to discover the "Boot Sequence:" option :notme: . There is a few settings but not one for CDROM on it's own. So now it's "CDROM, C, A". When I have the IPCop installation disc inserted and switch off the pc and turn it back on, the 'quick bios/components check' identifies that the harddrive is there. But after about 3 minutes of waiting I get to the next part and it shows a table with "CPU Type, Base Memory, Cache memory, extended memory" etc etc. Then below this table it shows:

Code:
    Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM
    1. FD ú0 System Type -(00)
    DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    :confused: :confused:

Now Im sure this means HDD not recognized?

Can someone shed light on this matter and direct me to a solution? :)

Regards,

Chris

4. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

I think it is just saying that it cant boot from the Cdrom drive, there should be something that you can press to continue

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

As you are saying that it is very old PC then I assume that you are running win98 on it.

To run from the CD you need to make a startup disc.(Floppy Disk).
    that system disc is the one I am talking about which your computer asking for.

in control Panel->add Remove Progs-> There you can make a startup disc...... I am not pretty sure under which tab it is.....but you will find out, its not very difficult.

Just put that startup floppy disc into your computer and restart it and then you have to do everything in the DOS mode.....~!

6. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

you can also go to bootdisk.com and download the right thing and put it on a floppy

7. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Thanks for the replies guys, I will try some of the advice you posted. The PC is supposed to be running Win98SE but when I tried to boot it up (when I got it a few months back off my nan), I got lots of messages stating that several boot files were corrupted (probably from a few viruses). So this is why I am trying to install some other OS's on it.

Well I think Im stuck. Might have to take a trip to the skip.

Thanks!

Chris