Cd-rw

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Litmatch21, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Litmatch21

Litmatch21 Geek Trainee

I have an old IBM thinkpad T20, and it all of a sudden stoped reading (opening) my blank discs, but it does read any other cd rom. is it the type of cd-r ( memorex) that i'm using? my desktop reads it just fine. i haven't tried using other rype of cd-r's just yet, but will soon. is there anything that might be wrong?

oh yeah, i also tried using my cd-rom drive and it also couldn't read it. when i try using my cd-rw, i get a "E:\ Is not accessible
    Incorrect Function"

also:
    i used my desktope to burn some mp3's into the cd-r that isn't being read by my cd-rw in my laptop. the weird thing is that my laptop read it properly and i could access the mp3's. the problem is that when i insert a blank cd-r, of the same type, i won't read it, and thus it won't let me burn. what's the deal?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

My first guess would be the burner software. Have you tried reinstalling it?

3. Litmatch21

Litmatch21 Geek Trainee

i don't think it's the software. why can't i open the blank cd-r? i click on the cd-rw drive but it can't open the cd-r.

4. Anti-Trend

Many drives/Windows versions will fail when you try to read a blank CD in Win Explorer. This is inconcequencial, unless you're using Windows XP and its integrated [Roxio] burning software. Even in this case, it's not critical unless you don't have access to any other burner software to fall back on.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I had the exact same problem once with Easy Cd Creator. I uninstalled it, disabled XP's burn-in feature and installed Nero.

Have not had a single problem since.

6. Anti-Trend

Amen. Preach on, brother. :) That's exactly what I would do.

7. Litmatch21

Litmatch21 Geek Trainee

i finally got a different brand. now i tried imation instead of memorex, and it didn't open the blank cd-r, but it did burn properly, unlike when i used the memorex. why wouldn't that particular cd-r not work???

8. Anti-Trend

It could be that the laser on your CD-RW is either dirty or scratched. With a laptop's burner, you should be able to see for yourself whether or not this is so. Or, if the other blanks were of poor enough quality, that could also have caused problems.

9. Litmatch21

Litmatch21 Geek Trainee

i slowed the burning speed and that did the trick. thx all.