Change partitions from fat32 to ntfs

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by djjedi, Feb 25, 2003.

1. djjedi

djjedi Geek

Hi, i have made a fat32 partitions like this:
    1x10gb(os), 1x20gb, 1x10gb...total=40gb
    i would like to know if i can change them to ntfs partitions now.. but the only thing is that i would like to change the ones that i have made.. i mean for example a new ones i would like to do with the ntfs:
    1x20gb(os), 2x10gb...total=40gb... does it posible, how can i do?...
    thanks for read and help me..

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah. If some of the partitions don't have anything on them, just reformat them as NTFS. If not, bring up your command prompt and type "convert X: /FS:NTFS" where X is the drive letter you want to convert to NTFS, and without the double quotes. Your first partition on the drive (C) cannot be formatted to NTFS, and has to be converted unless you want to reinstall the whole OS, which I'm guessing you don't wanna do.

This is assuming you run Windows 2000 or XP.

3. djjedi

djjedi Geek

thanksĀ» Change partitions from fat32 to ntfs

thanks Big B, i had before windows98SE with fat32, but i changed to windows2000, and the fat32 changed to ntfs automatically, and works great now..

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

BigB : I never thought I'd live long enough to see this day, but I have to disagree on something you said :blah:

djjedi : You can convert your c: to ntfs.
    You proceed the same way as the other two. It'll tell you you cannot convert it right now because you're using it, so it'll ask you to dismount the volume, you say "no", then it will ask you to schedule the convert the next time you restart windows, you say "yes". Then you restart, and the convert will be performed.

The only thing is that the cluster size will be 512 bytes, instead of 4096 bytes (4kb), which means that your hdd will fragment faster, and it will take longer to defragment it, that is why it is better to format to ntfs rather than converting to it. But I understand your situation, I had to do it myself not too long ago (that is why I know that converting the c: drive can be done :p).

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I should've given more details. Unfortunately, this isn't something I use often, since I've ended up formatting all my to NTFS. If I have to reinstall, I format the necessary drive(s) as NTFS.

Oh, and if you think I'm wrong, it'll happen again---I'm human.:p I find out there's more I don't know every time I learn something new.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yep, we all are !

I'm just messin' with you ;)

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I know.