Clint Eastwood's Grand Torino

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by sabashuali, Jul 3, 2009.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

On my way back from the land of Milk and Honey this week, I watched this brilliant offering from Clint Eastwood. The man is a master. You wouldn't think the silent stranger from the spaghetti westerns would have come this far to create brilliance like Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, Changeling and others...

Yes, he gave his hand to some serious flops but I thoroughly enjoyed his latest offering. Without giving too much away -
    A widowed, army veteran, ex-car factory worker, living on his own in a small American town, befriends a family of Vietnamese immigrants who moved in next door. You will laugh and perhaps shed a tear but I guarantee you will be moved. 4 out of 5 for me.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I've also seen this movie, and I agree it's indeed a great movie.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I thought it was good, but the wooden acting in places were a harsh reminder that I was merely watching a movie and not a real personal drama unfolding. For instance, the scene where the boy is locked in the basement, limply banging on the bars and yelling as if he was only mildly irritated.

Also, Clint Eastwood should have restrained himself the masturbatory act of singing the closing theme. Wow, Luis Armstrong he ain't. All in all, well worth seeing, if you can overlook its shortcomings.

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I was not overly impressed with the boy's acting and thought that he was going for simple to mild retardant... it seems he accomplished some of it... ;) I felt Eastwood conveyed well, the predicament of his neighbours (especially the particular type of neighbours) playing a greater part in his shortly-to-end life than his children which he so "fatherly" patronised and estranged.... and trying desperately to absolve himself of the "crimes" he committed by mentoring their son and protecting the honour of their daughter.

I liked the banter between him and the neighbours' children and it was nice to see a bit of the old Clint coming out in the confrontational scenes.

I suppose Eastwood can do pretty much all he wants these days.... I thought it might be him but being on a noisy plane, I gave him the benefit of the doubt... he should have relied once more on Lee Marvin to do the job.... :chk: Anyway, as far as I am concerned, with the calibre of films he managed to produce, he can sing in them as well. Better to do it at the end while the credits are rolling than at the beginning... hehe :chk:

5. Brick Top

Brick Top Geek Trainee

It's a great film, I really enjoyed it. I also liked the fact that most of the characters seemed very real, because most of them weren't actors, just real people. If you have a chance I'd recommend it!

6. Thundervore

Thundervore Geek Trainee

Its a great movie, old man can still act