Cloning to a second hard drive.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by DavidNW, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hehe, Maths helps with the 'formulas' and the IDE diagrams are just what came to my mind first. I'm glad I could help you out.
    :good:

2. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hello, everyone.

Now, just when I thought we had figured out HD capacities with a little help from everyone. Another anomaly has reared its head! Looking in 'My Computer' at my 40GB external drive I see that it tells me that I have 184MBs of used space. There's nothing on the drive, so this rather perplexes me.

The drive's capacity in bytes is: 39,999,500,288. The 'used space' equates to: 193,667,072 bytes, which is equal to 184MB. As I said, I have deleted all files from the drive, and yet, there’s 184MB of 'used space.' Anyone know what's going on here, as it would be interesting to find an explanation?

Cheers,

Dave.

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Sounds like some hidden files are still there.
    In explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options, click on the View tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'. If there still aren't any files showing, i'd suggest a low level format.

4. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, Pelvis.

I'll check that out. Subsequently, another school of thought thinks the formatting process of HDs may impact on loss of HD space.

Cheers,

Dave.

5. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Subsequently, I think I may have found out that the formatting of a disk results in some loss of space. The explanation is a bit long-winded, so click this link if you're interested http://www.pcmech.com/show//67/ I'm not sure if this is the reason why HDs seem to lose space, but it seems feasable.

Cheers,

Dave

6. Weeman5872

Weeman5872 Geek Trainee

I could be wrong, but what if the manufacturers calculate the capacity of the HDD's in Bit's rather than Bytes.

so:

1 Kilobit = 1000 Bit
    1 Megabit = 1000x1000
    1 Gigabit = 1000x1000x1000
    80 Gigabit = 1000x1000x1000x80

so 80 gigabit = 80 000 000 000 Bit = 74.5 Gigabyte

and they could put 80Gb on the box meaning 80 Gigabit instead of 80 Gigabyte, just a thaught, but i could be wrong.

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

They don't, as 1byte = 8bits - so an 80Gb Hard drive is only equal to 10GB.

They don't do it like that.

8. Weeman5872

Weeman5872 Geek Trainee

ahh i see, my mistake

there is one query i have though, on this desktop, i have 80GB HDD (which appears as 74.5GB) but on another desktop i had, it had an 80GB HDD, but in windows, it appeared as ~76GB, and on a vista laptop i have, the hdd is 80GB, but appears as 67.6GB, any ideas? (they all use the full hdd as one partition)