Coding Forums...

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by Waffle, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Oook, I need some forums, and I hear you cry "phpBB!" etc etc.

Using Fantastico on my cilents server, I've installed phpBB, but to be honest, it doesn't suit the rest of the site at all, and it isn't integrated. I'm also far too lazy to mess around skinning the forums.

Soo, I'm considering coding my own, as they only have to be very simple, security isn't a major issue, as it's not gonna be a hugely busy site with malicious guests..I hope. Aside from that, any suggestions on where to start?

I don't even need an admin control panel for it, the way I hope to code this, is to set up 2 or 3 'categories' within a table, and have code producing individual forums, and in turn have threads.

As a result, only registered members can access, and therefore post, and so I don't need to worry about separate user registration, or anything like that.

An ideal, perfect example can be found here: http://techtuts.com/?view=forum

and I've asked the owner, who said he's writing a tut for those forums, but isn't keen on releasing his code just yet, which is fair enough.

thanks for any advice.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

other that the most common ones like phpbb, mybb etc the only thing I can suggest is write your own, which will be difficult if you have limited knowledge.

the site you posted is custom coded, so the owner can only help you there. often its best for small sites to create their own cms, which meets their needs, since the ones found on the web can often be filled with features they don't need.