Comp Hanging - PSU trouble?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Crayola, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Crayola

Crayola Geek Trainee

Im not sure if this is the PSU. Checked HDD. Checked Windows. And i doubt its the RAM. It usually hangs if you try to load applications/games directly after startup.
    I currently Have a CiT 600W PSU (bad choice im guessing)

Heres the stats for Voltages/temps (idle)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/frcraig/Capture.png

Now im not sure or are the 5 & 12V supposed to be that low.

I should also mention that once it does load and has been on a while it will work continuously.

2. Crayola

Crayola Geek Trainee

Ok, so ive looked about on the internet for a bit. It seems the 12v reading from CPUID must be totally innacurate, as the computer wouldnt boot with such low voltages. The PSU im currently using has Dual 12V rails at 18A each. There isnt much trouble when it gets going, Into a game or what not. However torrent programs and opening lots of tabs whilst having a media player running will cause the computer to freeze and audio will stutter for ages. Mouse/keyboard will not work. The only thing possible when it gets in this state is to turn it off.

3. Crayola

Crayola Geek Trainee

ok, after a while i figured when it usually hangs. Turns out it wasnt anything to do with the psu. It was my wireless adaptor. Apparently Edimax cards have compatability issues with windows 7. so I reinstalled under windows XP compatability mode and havn't had any problems since.